Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have
04 8.1L Silverado that i got tired of the helicopter sound of the mechanical fan. I swap the radiator for a 6.0 34" radiator and installed the OEM Efans. That I still need to find an OEM relay so i can get it tuned so the ECM can do it's thing.
Bought a cheap eBay harness and i have it wired to switches in the cab.

When i flip the high speed switch the dummy Voltage gauge moves and the A/C blower slows/stops for a second. And this are just the standard 400W fans I plan to upgrade to the 700W fans used on trucks with the tow package.
My alternator is the 105Amp one.
Should i upgrade my alternator?

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
19,560 Posts
Not too sure I'd have gone e fans with the 8.1 if you tow. If not it'll be fine. If you do tow, the mechanical fan will out perform the e fans.

But in either case, I'd upgrade the alternator. Can get the oem 145 amp. Will need the corresponding belt as well. You can also get larger ones as well if you see fit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It works excellent or at least down here in TX where its completely flat it does. I don't tow anything heavy the heaviest i have tow around 10k outside temperature 100F and the engine was at 196F

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
19,560 Posts
Yeah flat ground moving fairly steady shouldn't be an issue since the ram air alone is plenty to keep it cool.

It's mainly an issue in areas with mountains or doing more slower speed stuff.

·
Premium Member
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB
2,946 Posts
China bearings will be sounding like a supercharger in no time
Lol

Don't get a cheap alternator, get OEM or ACDELCO 145A or if you really need extra power there are aftermarket companies that build good ones. You will have to cough up the $$$ either way.

You can take a chance on cheaper one and probably have to replace it often (usually at the most inopportune times) or get a good one and not worry about it for years.

Sadly I think even the GM or ACDELCO are made In Mexico or overseas now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts