Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!!!!

Just bought a 2017 Silverado. was looking around and found a set of AMP Research steps installed.. Upon further investigation I found under the hood some wires that are not connected to anything. I believe I am missing the control box that these wires plug into. Can some one please confirm for me? I will post the picture.

Chief

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have looked around the engine bay to see if maybe it fell off, but it is no where in site.

Next question is, I want to make sure these steps work before I buy the box, is there a way to "OP CHECK" the steps with out the box?

thanks,

Chief

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
484 Posts
IDK about the product, but you might check their website to find the steps for your truck, and then see if the install instructions are available and what they show that connector goes to.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hello all!!!!

Just bought a 2017 Silverado. was looking around and found a set of AMP Research steps installed.. Upon further investigation I found under the hood some wires that are not connected to anything. I believe I am missing the control box that these wires plug into. Can some one please confirm for me? I will post the picture.

Chief
It's possible. Here is a picture that I had of the control box for my amp steps on my 2014 and the white plugs look the same. What other wiring do you have in the engine bay? You can also follow that wiring, it should split and go down to each side of the frame and to the steps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IDK about the product, but you might check their website to find the steps for your truck, and then see if the install instructions are available and what they show that connector goes to.
I did that, watched a video also, which is better for me. I see there are 2 ways for this to get hooked up, with this control box or with the OBD port. I just dont know which one to buy or if I need both. Really dont want to buy anything and just want to apply power to see if they work 1st. Might end up taking it to the shop so I dont mess anything up

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bigblue2014,

I do have the wiring that goes down each side.. That picture helped alot!

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
4,442 Posts
I did that, watched a video also, which is better for me. I see there are 2 ways for this to get hooked up, with this control box or with the OBD port. I just dont know which one to buy or if I need both. Really dont want to buy anything and just want to apply power to see if they work 1st. Might end up taking it to the shop so I dont mess anything up
You may be a little confused....the control box DOES tie into the OBD Port. The steps will not operate without this hookup. It's not either/or. If apparently the wiring is still there, look under your dash by the OBD connector. Whomever owned the truck previously may have just stowed and zip tied the plug under the dash.

See page 8/9.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You may be a little confused....the control box DOES tie into the OBD Port. The steps will not operate without this hookup. It's not either/or. If apparently the wiring is still there, look under your dash by the OBD connector. Whomever owned the truck previously may have just stowed and zip tied the plug under the dash.

See page 8/9.

I looked under the dash, there is nothing there. This is making me think even more that the steps may be inoperable. I dont know why the previous owner would take those 2 pieces off and out of the truck otherwise..

Looking at that picture was what lead me to think that I only needed one or the other, but I understand it now

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

So this right here should be what I need to get it going, No?

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
4,442 Posts
you also need the "controller."

Reactions: Chief

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
does anyone know a way that I could opcheck it to see if the steps even work? I see a red and a black wire, going to it, assuming hot and ground

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
If you wire them direct to the battery, black to neg, red to pos, and then tap and ground the blue/purple wire then the steps should deploy. Pretty sure this is the trouble shooting procedure outlined on their FAQ.

Otherwise, if your doors are open and you plug a new controller in, they'll shoot out right away.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright! I like to pass on information to others so here is what I have figured out thus far.

2017 Silverado LTZ
AMP Research steps

My original question was about how to OP check them to make sure the motors still work before spending money on the module and OBD2 port.

To opcheck MY particular steps, (yours may be different then mine so try this at your own risk.) On the plug you have a orange wire and a white wire. if you apply power to one wire and ground the other, the steps will deploy. Switch the power and ground and they will retract. This is for the passenger side only. Then if you do the orange with black stripe wire and the white wire next to it, it will deploy the drivers side. Then reverse to bring it back up.

Just want to clarify this in case there was any confusion. Both of my steps came down and went back up with no issues, so honestly I really dont know why those 2 components are missing, but I will report back and let you know when parts are received.

Chief

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, here is the update. Ordered the module and the OBD plug. Wired in the OBD plug, super easy. Installed the module and plugged in the 2 connectors. Opened the DRIVERS door and bam... The PASSENGER side opened right up.... Opened the PASSENGER side and the DRIVERS side opened up. I will add that they only dropped about half way, and would not retract all the way either. Soooooo...

I checked the wiring going from the plug to the steps, routed the right way, All looks like it should. checked the plug to make sure I could only plug it in one way... And that is a fact, you can not plug it in any other way. So, I switched the wires in the plug so the module thinks the opposite, now when I open the correct door the correct step goes up and down now. So some where at amp they have there wires crossed! No PUN intended!!!

At the end of the day, it has worked out and I am super happy!

Hopefully this will be useful to someone in the future!

Chief

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not dropping down all the way could have been either me lubricating the steps, or the fact that I removed the blue plastic that was on the plug that allowed me to push the connector in just a little bit more to make better contact.

Swapping the wires was definitely the fix for the opposite operation.

I am thinking that maybe why the original owner may have removed the original module, as maybe he could not get it figured out. Not really sure honestly.

-Chief

·
Registered
685 Posts
That is awesome to hear! I am glad you figured it out, and honestly when I read the line about how opening one door and the opposite step working my immediate thought was that the left and right trigger wires were probably pinned/crossed. Again, glad you figured it out, and enjoy your entry to the Amp Research Elite Club with the rest of us!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts