Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2009 silverado and wanting the power boards . Are there any special tools required or that would make install easier. Is the installation pretty straight forward or should I pay someone turnkey $1500 for boards and install. Also what's the cheapest price and where have u found them at for best price.

· Registered
1,139 Posts
The install is definitely an involved process. For the average person, I would recommend taking it into a professional. If you're pretty handy with a wrench and familiar with automotive electrical, then you should be able to get it done on a Saturday without too much difficulty.

I will say that now the install is way, way easier than before if you buy the plug and play OBDII pass-through harness: http://www.autoanything.com/nerf-bars/a ... gh-harness

They aren't available for all models, but that harness allows you to avoid all the wire splicing craziness that you had to do before, and for $80, I think it's well worth it. I haven't done an install with one yet, but for an idea how much it simplifies the install, AMP states that the pass-through kit replaces steps 8-41. That's huge. I'm not just saying this as a vendor, but I would not install another one without that harness. It takes at least a few hours off the install time, and it still leaves your OBDII port open to use whenever you need.

Feel free to PM me with any questions!

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AutoAnything said:
The install is definitely an involved process. For the average person, I would recommend taking it into a professional. If you're pretty handy with a wrench and familiar with automotive electrical, then you should be able to get it done on a Saturday without too much difficulty.

I will say that now the install is way, way easier than before if you buy the plug and play OBDII pass-through harness: http://www.autoanything.com/nerf-bars/a ... gh-harness

They aren't available for all models, but that harness allows you to avoid all the wire splicing craziness that you had to do before, and for $80, I think it's well worth it. I haven't done an install with one yet, but for an idea how much it simplifies the install, AMP states that the pass-through kit replaces steps 8-41. That's huge. I'm not just saying this as a vendor, but I would not install another one without that harness. It takes at least a few hours off the install time, and it still leaves your OBDII port open to use whenever you need.

Feel free to PM me with any questions!
Thanks , my only concern was pulling door panel off. I wonder if this harness eliminates that as a step. Otherwise I am pretty handy and work on large rotary air compressors for a living. Families with reading schematics and mechanically inclined. I was also worried because it looked like in a few of the videos I seen that a right angle drill would be needed to drill any needed holes but I'm not sure thats needed for my 2009 Silverado Extended cab or if I can get a standard drill in place. Thanks for the reply and Harness I will have to check you guys out on the web.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SoxFan said:
Not problems at all with basic hand tools, job is easier with a second set of hands when attaching steps to the brackets, otherwise a few hours and some patience is all you'll need
Cool I was worried I would get started and then realize I needed something I didn't have. I think I will give it a shot.

· Registered
166 Posts
One thing that caught me a little by surprise when I installed mine (I too have an extended cab)... when you go to install the boards, you'll need to cut approx 7"-8" off. They ship the crew cab boards for all installs, and if you have an extended cab you'll need to trim a bit. No biggie, just wanted to pass it along.

Angry Russell

· Registered
5,165 Posts
Install hard, no time consuming yes. I did mine on 11 crewcab. Biggest challenge was getting the front doors to fold down. Solution remove driver and pass front door panel and connect "Before" the can bus. The directions were vague. You can do it though. Besides you have the forum to consult if you get stuck. Give it a shot. It is most satisfying to do something yourself than pay someone else.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AngryRussell said:
One thing that caught me a little by surprise when I installed mine (I too have an extended cab)... when you go to install the boards, you'll need to cut approx 7"-8" off. They ship the crew cab boards for all installs, and if you have an extended cab you'll need to trim a bit. No biggie, just wanted to pass it along.

Angry Russell
Yeah wow I had no idea about that either. I guess a good straight cut with sawzall and sandpaper to clean edges up will do ? Thanks for heads up !
Welcher774 said:
Install hard, no time consuming yes. I did mine on 11 crewcab. Biggest challenge was getting the front doors to fold down. Solution remove driver and pass front door panel and connect "Before" the can bus. The directions were vague. You can do it though. Besides you have the forum to consult if you get stuck. Give it a shot. It is most satisfying to do something yourself than pay someone else.
I like to do things myself when I can too , I've also gotten deep into something and it cost me more than if id have paid someone lol. My biggest issue is I don't really have any local shops and its hard to coordinate with wife or a friend to drop off and pick up vehicle during business hours. I'm going to attempt this with yall at my back. Thanks for the support !

· Registered
1,139 Posts
Timber2015 said:
Thanks , my only concern was pulling door panel off. I wonder if this harness eliminates that as a step. Otherwise I am pretty handy and work on large rotary air compressors for a living. Families with reading schematics and mechanically inclined. I was also worried because it looked like in a few of the videos I seen that a right angle drill would be needed to drill any needed holes but I'm not sure thats needed for my 2009 Silverado Extended cab or if I can get a standard drill in place. Thanks for the reply and Harness I will have to check you guys out on the web.
Here are the instructions for the model you would be installing: http://b.cdnbrm.com/images/info/bestop/bestop_powerstep_75126.pdf

Now that I'm looking into this further, it looks like the plug and play harness is only available for later Silverado models, unfortunately. Still, if you're handy and comfortable enough with the wiring and drilling, you should be able to get it done on a Saturday.

· Registered
26 Posts
I just installed a set of AMP boards on my 16 Silverado. I got the ones with the plug and play setup that plugs into to the OBD port. Saves tearing into door panels and such. I had to drill a small hole in drivers side floor to run wires up to cabin. About killed me to do that on a new truck. It came with a grommet to put in hole. Used silicone on the in cab hole and seam sealer on bottom of floor pan. I installed them myself but could used somebody for a few minutes to install boards to brackets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.