Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2018 6.2l Silverado just cracked 40k miles. I work at a chevy dealer so for the past 4 years I’ve just had them change the oil with the oem semi synth blend. I’m going to make the switch to amsoil full synthetic so I ordered a case of signature series and figured I try a engine flush. The instructions state that it should idle for 15 minutes after adding the flush right before changing the oil. My question: I live 15 minutes from work- could I simply add the flush on my way to work and get the oil changed? Or should I add the flush and let the truck idle for 15 minutes after I arrive?

·
Registered
2012 Silverado 2500HD 4x4
2,066 Posts
I believe Option A is the way to go! It kills two birds with one stone!
Hopefully you can watch the tech change your oil and actually put the Amsoil in there!
I know a guy,,,,,,,,,,,, Worked at a dealership,, the "Oil Change Guy".
You got what was in the big blue drum and he got the expensive stuff you handed him!
Just saying!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe Option A is the way to go! It kills two birds with one stone!
Hopefully you can watch the tech change your oil and actually put the Amsoil in there!
I know a guy,,,,,,,,,,,, Worked at a dealership,, the "Oil Change Guy".
You got what was in the big blue drum and he got the expensive stuff you handed him!
Just saying!
Besides being a sales manager and working here for 8 years I’m good friends with the service manager. They all know my truck and would highly doubt they would do that to a stranger let alone my truck!

·
Registered
Gustafson
404 Posts
Besides being a sales manager and working here for 8 years I’m good friends with the service manager. They all know my truck and would highly doubt they would do that to a stranger let alone my truck!
Uh, yeah, you work there and you're a boss... I don't think anyone is going to screw you.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
If Amsoil makes it I use it in my vehicles - engine, transmission, transfer case, differentials, coolant system & brake fluid (I have electrically assisted steering). I am definitely an Amsoil fanboy and Amsoil dealer.

·
Registered
824 Posts
My 2018 6.2l Silverado just cracked 40k miles. I work at a chevy dealer so for the past 4 years I’ve just had them change the oil with the oem semi synth blend.
GM went to full synthetic in 2011, ain't you kinda behind the times?

Not a fan of flushes, especially on AFM/DFM engines for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I wouldn't bother flushing, just warm the engine and then drain the oil, change the filter, and fill back up with the Amsoil. Just a normal oil change. You've got nothing to gain in flushing at 40k miles. Barely broken in yet.
I pretty much agree here. If you have been doing oil changes at decent intervals, you really don't need a flush at just 40K. I can't speak for Amsoil, but I know many of the engine flushes out there work too well...and let lots of gunk find their way into the oil...not good.

Even with the most horrible, sludged-up engine I ever had (used, 10-year-old Chrysler 318 with 183K miles in a '79 Dodge Power Wagon), I used Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) to gently clean it over several months. It worked well. The guy I sold it to (a mechanic) said that the engine was really clean when he rebuilt it. To this day, I still top off my engine oil (never more than 16 oz) within 500-1000 miles before my next oil change with MMO to help the regular oil in its cleaning. I put 319,000 miles on a Toyota 3.0 doing this method before the car met its death with a deer collision...but the engine was still running strong and only burning a quart every 7000 miles.

Should you decide to go ahead with the Amsoil flush, follow the instructions on the bottle and don't take shortcuts.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Sierra Denali CC 4WD Ultimate 6.2L
5,174 Posts
Follow the directions. I would agree not really needed with low miles unless is was neglected. But if you already bought it, no harm using it but follow the instructions and do NOT drive the truck.

The AMSOIL engine flush IS NOT a harsh chemical. Its advanced formula of light base-oil technology and powerful detergents and dispersants provides safe cleaning action.

·
Registered
2020 GMC Sierra 1/2 T Extra Cab 2x4
20 Posts
If you look on the Amsoil site, it states that Amsoil is compatible with other oils. So you don’t need to flush when you switch to Amsoil. At 40k, I doubt that you’ve built up enough sludge to warrant a flush…

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I emailed amsoil and they recommend not putting it under a load, so that answers that. I agree with others that it most likely doesn’t need it as I have changed the oil religiously- I just got it because if it helps my motor even a tiny bit for $16 sign me up. If it doesn’t do anything I’ll take the $16 loss. As far as gm going to synthetic in 2011 I’m not 100% positive but I am pretty sure they use a semi synthetic blend with everything except the corvette. I could be wrong, I’m too lazy to walk down the service department and ask 😂

·
Registered
19 Posts
I emailed amsoil and they recommend not putting it under a load, so that answers that. I agree with others that it most likely doesn’t need it as I have changed the oil religiously- I just got it because if it helps my motor even a tiny bit for $16 sign me up. If it doesn’t do anything I’ll take the $16 loss. As far as gm going to synthetic in 2011 I’m not 100% positive but I am pretty sure they use a semi synthetic blend with everything except the corvette. I could be wrong, I’m too lazy to walk down the service department and ask 😂
Personally i wouldnt use the flush, can do more harm than good. If your motor has any sludge or buildup (typically does from moisture content, etc) the flush releases all of this and it goes to your oil pan and clogs your pickup tube another passages. Usually with these flushes the safe thing to do is drop the pan and wipe it out after shutdown, which obviously is not practical. Since you dont perform your own oil changes you will not get the benefit of visually seeing what comes out of the drain hole.

After chaiging oil brands the residual leftovers of the last brand is so minimal that i would not let that bother you either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
JUST had mine changed at the dealer & they used Semi-Synthetic for my 2019 Silverado RST Crew Cab....

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2018 6.2l Silverado just cracked 40k miles. I work at a chevy dealer so for the past 4 years I’ve just had them change the oil with the oem semi synth blend. I’m going to make the switch to amsoil full synthetic so I ordered a case of signature series and figured I try a engine flush. The instructions state that it should idle for 15 minutes after adding the flush right before changing the oil. My question: I live 15 minutes from work- could I simply add the flush on my way to work and get the oil changed? Or should I add the flush and let the truck idle for 15 minutes after I arrive?
Do not drive with flush. Just idle for 15 and drain Then refill with new oil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No reason to flush anything, simply drain your oil and pour in whatever new oil you want and it will be fine. I personally use Valvoline and I put 510,000 miles on my 1992 Silverado and it didn't smoke or burn a drop of oil when I sold it. Our 1997 GMC Jimmy had 285,000 miles when we sold it and it didn't burn any oil. Those cars used conventional Valvoline oil. Over the years of owning those cars, there were times when Walmart was out of Valvoline so dumped Castrol in until the next oil change then back with Valvoline.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts