Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Silverado
17 Posts
I would not flush. Motor flushes generally cause more problems than they fix. Stuff breaks loose and plugges up oil passages.
Just get your motor up to temp for a while then drain and change filter. Refill with Amzoil and go down the road.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2018 6.2l Silverado just cracked 40k miles. I work at a chevy dealer so for the past 4 years I’ve just had them change the oil with the oem semi synth blend. I’m going to make the switch to amsoil full synthetic so I ordered a case of signature series and figured I try a engine flush. The instructions state that it should idle for 15 minutes after adding the flush right before changing the oil. My question: I live 15 minutes from work- could I simply add the flush on my way to work and get the oil changed? Or should I add the flush and let the truck idle for 15 minutes after I arrive?
DO NOT DRIVE with engine flush. The reason for just idle is that the oil is diluted and a lot of solvent in it. It will NOT LUBRICATE the engine properly, especially if you are driving at highway speeds.

·
Registered
16 Posts
For the life of me I'll never get the obsession with all the different miracle oils offered to and purchased by gullible people these days.. I've own a cool dozen gm trucks along with a number cars in my 62 years.. most of them faithfully logged a couple hundred thousands miles and all of them were trouble free in the motor, trans and axle departments. Until recently with basic conventional motor oil nothing at all special... That includes my 9 second street strip 67 Camaro that I played with for about 25 years... It's more about how often not on how crazy the cost is when changing lubrication. This is much Todo about nothing. As the old saying goes a fool and his money will soon part company.

·
Registered
2004 Silverado Base 4.3l 2wd
59 Posts
Politics, Oil and Religion...everybody's got an opinion...
Project Farm and Bob The Oil Guy seem to push Pennzoil.
Clean Oil Is The Best Oil....I'll take a fresh Valvoline oil and Wix filter over a used 5K Amsol oil any day....
and yeah, I don't flush...

·
Registered
847 Posts
I emailed amsoil and they recommend not putting it under a load, so that answers that. I agree with others that it most likely doesn’t need it as I have changed the oil religiously- I just got it because if it helps my motor even a tiny bit for $16 sign me up. If it doesn’t do anything I’ll take the $16 loss. As far as gm going to synthetic in 2011 I’m not 100% positive but I am pretty sure they use a semi synthetic blend with everything except the corvette. I could be wrong, I’m too lazy to walk down the service department and ask 😂
You are incorrect, that's why I mentioned it after refreshing my memory on what year the change was made. ACDelco Dexos is full synthetic.

Reactions: snakej200
21 - 25 of 25 Posts