Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my first Amsoil oil change this summer with their XL (10K) series. After 4K, I had burned one quart. Now at 5k, I am noticing that the dipstick is very dirty, usually when I do my regular convention oil changes at 3k, the dipstick is still very clean. Is the oil very dirty because Amsoil is that much better and cleaned my engine and I am just seeing the dirt that was cleaned out?

Would I be better off using their OEM oil if I am just going to be burning a quart every 4k. Then just do my changes between 4 and 5K? Also, 10k seems like a long time to be running the same oil, not to mention their 25k oil they have. Should I be concerned? Am I better off with their OEM oil?

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
What is the year and engine of your truck?

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Depending on what you were using for oil before, the Amsoil products could be cleaning out buildup that has accumulated in your engine and that may explain the "dirty" look. And it could possibly explain your oil consumption increase. I would change the oil and filter and refill with Amsoil again and monitor it from there. Use the same stuff you already are using. No use spending more for the top tier oil they have until things settle down. There can usually be a lag time when changing brands/types of oil before things settle down. Happens all the time with commercial equipment.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I was thinking is that it's just doing a nice cleansing job for me. Before using Amsoil, I would fill up with 6 quarts on a change and after 3k I would be left with 6 quarts. Ill keep monitoring my situation and see if anything happens. I do have to say that I am now getting slightly better gas mileage though with Amsoil.

·
Registered
377 Posts
OP it sounds like the Amsoil is cleaning out the buildup and burning it off, along with your oil. I recommend doing a Seafoam treatment - in your brake booster, in the oil and in your fuel tank - run it through your system for 100 miles and then do an oil change with some fresh amsoil

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.