Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
this is for all my canadian brothers out there.
i have been searching for a remote start system for my truck for a couple weeks now, turns out its INSTALLED my bloody truck but the dealers want 450$ canadian pasose to "install" the system. so that means give me two key fobs and flash the truck to activate it. i just couldnt bring myself to give them that much money for such an obvious money grab.

SO!
i called onstar and it turns out they have a 3 month free trail period for new uses ( maybe returning to, i dont know ).
they also gave me an extra 2 months free for a promotion they have on.
only down side is that you have to make an appointment at the dealer for them to upgrade your OnStar receiver ( if your truck is older then 2015). but hey you would have to drop the truck off for them to sit in it and charge you 450$ :) for remote start.
BUT! the UP side is that you can start your truck from half way down the frozen lake and have a fully warm truck by the time the bike is loaded!
CALL ONSTAR FIRST!! get the info from the rep, with names. i called my dealer first to just get a clarification and they tried to hose me for a 300$+ year membership before they would install the module... thats free... and free install....... yea, im going to jump down there throat tomorrow.

ALSO! i dont know if they do it for everyone but they signed me up for 3 years free OnStar that lets me use my remote start system even if i let the OnStar full coverage run out!

i hope i didn't leave anything out or just repeating common knowledge

· Registered
572 Posts
I can't imagine ever subjecting the engine in my vehicle with a cold start and let it idle with no load. The oil flow would be the lowest that the system would ever see. And starting a internal combustion engine at a distance would seem to have potential safety (fire) issues.

If a person is in reasonably good health, it would seem that a few minutes driving in a cold interior can't be serious.

A block heater would seem a lot better option for protecting the drivetrain in cold weather.

But, it is your truck.

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
17,133 Posts
I would do some double checking. I think you need the GM Remote start activated before On-Star will be able to start your truck. I have the factory remote start. I purchased a kit on ebay for $115 and had my dealer activate it and program the FOBs for me for another $69. Then I got the free ONSTAR basic account which lets me start my truck with my smart phone. GM actually has an app that is very similar to the Onstar app. And yes, I can start my truck from 500 miles away. Or lock/unlock the doors or honk the horn.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
humm thats disappointing, they took my vin number and said everything checks out... but if thats that case i guess they will still have to flash the truck.
well.... shit, now i just look silly...

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GR2017 said:
I can't imagine ever subjecting the engine in my vehicle with a cold start and let it idle with no load. The oil flow would be the lowest that the system would ever see. And starting a internal combustion engine at a distance would seem to have potential safety (fire) issues.

If a person is in reasonably good health, it would seem that a few minutes driving in a cold interior can't be serious.

A block heater would seem a lot better option for protecting the drivetrain in cold weather.

But, it is your truck.
sooo... you drive around with fogged windows with little to no visibly....
But, its your criminal record.
seriously though do you just tie your truck to something and rev it in gear to get your windows defrosted before you leave the house?

· Registered
1,407 Posts
GR2017 said:

But, it is your truck.
WT& this would be the last thing I would do to my engine and tranny is to get in @ 0 degrees F start it and hit the road before warming it up that would create a lot of wear and damage IMO. Even worse is the new block heaters with the temp sensor that won`t come on until 0 degrees (or close)if I want my truck to be warm I want the block heater on when I plug it in even if it is 32 degrees this would have it warmer and less wear and tear I pay the power bill if it is warmer and it will take less time to warm.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
heres my thing about block heaters... im sure it will never happen but i have this horrible feeling that if i run a block heater then get in the truck and blast hot air on a -10 C windshield it will crack. i dunno its just me.
i would think letting the glass warm up with the truck.

17,133 Posts
Cmitchelld said:
humm thats disappointing, they took my vin number and said everything checks out... but if thats that case i guess they will still have to flash the truck.
well.... ****, now i just look silly...
Check the RPO codes on the list in your glove box. If you have AP3, it means you have the factory remote start installed. If you have AP8, that means you have everything in place to have factory remote start, you just need the activation kit and key fobs.

17,133 Posts
That is kind of my point. I don't think ON_star can start your truck without it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.