Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
08 Silverado 1500 CC 4x4 5.3L
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody make a decent 2 ohm speaker? Looking to replace my front and rear speakers but want to stay the same resistance as the factory bose. Fronts are 1.9 and rears are close to 4 (3.9 to be exact), I think. Can somebody confirm?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Not that I know of, but you can buy a set of dual-voice-coils that are 4Ω each. Wiring the speaker internally as parallel would give you the 2Ω load. Worse case, buy a set of 4Ω single-coil that you like, and wire a non-polarity load resister in parallel on each.

Tim

A quick Google search:
2-ohm Speakers
Various Makes

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't want to go that route. I really just want to plug them in and go.

I thought that some of the Infinity Speakers were 2-ohm like the Reference 6032si but got confused with some of their wording. I contacted Infinity and he said that the Kappas wouldn't work with a stock headunit because it would not have enough power to properly run them. They require an additional amp.

They say: True Four Ohm Impedance Technology: The speaker's 2.0-ohm impedance combined with the impedance of your speaker wire provides a true 4-ohm load to your connected headunit or amplifier.

Is that true for the stock Bose system on our trucks? As long as the speaker is a 2-ohm, nothing else should matter, right? The rear shouldn't be a problem since you can find 4-ohm speakers almost anywhere.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Wiring a resistor in parallel with a speaker to lower the impedance is not an option. The power from the amp would be divided between the resistor and the speaker's voice coils. So if you had 100W from the amp the speaker would only see 50W and the resistor the remaining 50W.

There are a few manufacturers out there that sell 2Ω component speakers but I don't recall any off the top of my head. You could replace the Bose speakers with 4Ω components but the Bose amp would only produce about half the wattage.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the infinity reference might be the best bet.

Now I just have to see if anybody makes an adapter or see if I can use the stock housing. Somebody did that on gm-trucks.com just got to find it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The Infinity guy said the Kappas wouldn't get enough power from the head unit or the bose amp wouldn't give them enough power? I would really like to know the output from the bose amp that would help me out alot, I'm looking to start by replacing m rears that are booo out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I used to install at bestbuy for roughly six years. We used to do that all the time (replace bose with nice infinity's) because it was pretty darn close and was the best option. The next best thing would be buying replacements from bose and nobody wants to go that route. $$$

Yes, the infinity's may not be exact replacements but we never had anyone come back complaining. my $0.02

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've done a little more research and the infinity references seem to be the right move. I don't want ear-splitting sound and I don't listen to music that loud. Just want to get rid on the crackling and popping noise.

They are the closest to 2 ohms without braking the bank and I can get their 4 ohms for the rear.

Does anybody make an adapter to mount them? What about wiring adapters? Not sure I want to cut and splice my wires.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You can leave the stock speaker plug on the speaker wires, just move down 4-6" and just cut through the coating on the wire then pull the coating away from each other to open up the cut you just made then use a tiny screw driver or something to part a hole in the copper wiring then feed the wires of your new speakers into that hole and wrap it around, get as much contact as you can then E-tape it. Its cheap, fast and easy and if you ever want to take speakers back out no problem just untape pull wire out then plug old stock speakers back in.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Cool thanks sanc9996 thats what I'm going to pick up, so I'm assuming that Infinitys for front and rears are no problem, I've heard people talk about the fronts an rears being different ohms.

·
Registered
207 Posts
hundohawk said:
Cool thanks sanc9996 thats what I'm going to pick up, so I'm assuming that Infinitys for front and rears are no problem, I've heard people talk about the fronts an rears being different ohms.
I've never heard of them being different but if you wanted to know for sure, you can always take the speaker out and put a multimeter on the speaker leads and see what the reading is.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did find some Metra wiring harness adapters for the speakers last night. Crutchfield also includes mounting brackets with speakers which will make installing much easier.

Probably going to go that route since the dealers wants $100 a speaker and I can get a front pair for $79 with free shipping.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also, what are the factory bose rear speaker size? I know they are smaller than the front but not sure exactly on the size.

Since the infinity reference speakers don't come in a 4 ohm, is there any problem with mixing brands between front and rear. Something like infinity in front and pioneer in the rear doors?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.