Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 71 Posts

馃弲TOTM, US Navy Vet, Law Enf ret.
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
Loud pipes don't annoy everybody, they don't bother me. Just depends on how thick the candy shell on your ass is.
My Harley is loud but I don't sit there and rev it up, that is annoying. Your issue should be with the dumb ass neighbor.
Loud pipes actually can save lives. It has saved mine at least twice. A car tried to get over in my lane and a couple of good revs on the throttle stopped him cold. My pipes are louder than the horn when revved up.

2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
cfesting said:
Seems like you need a better horn.
It's got the louder Harley horn, had to have it replaced after the original conked out. The pipes on my bike garner their attention more than the horn does.

ferraiolo1 said:
Loud pipes don't save lives. Leaning how to ride defensively does. By the time you pull in your clutch, and rev your loud pipes at a car about do do something stupid, you could have just sped away from the situation or applied both brakes.

But what ever makes Harley riders fee good :)

Like I said, sometimes loud pipes can save lives. It happened and it saved me. Thanks for the riding advice but I've been riding since probably before you were born. Stick to driving your truck around with your bike in the back and snapping pics of it to show you are a real genuine biker, like usual, and let the experienced riders roam the streets. That would make me "fee" good. ;)

2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
Sorry I don't wear things other guys buy me, that seems more like a crotch rocket thing. :lol:

Get some miles and experience under your belt then come back and preach to me. If you can get your bike out of the back of your truck that is.

I've done plenty of iron butt rides, look me up on the site, a few 1000 miles, a 1500 mile, a 2000 miler. You don't have to have quiet or loud pipes to do it but you do have to not have a candy ass where you actually can ride your bike for a long distance and react with traffic, exhaustion etc. You can't do it if you are used to hauling your bike around in the back of a truck. Keep reading that riding manual.

2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
cfesting said:
The iron butt guys who rack up millions of incident free miles usually ride the quietest bikes
Good point. The ST1100 I used to own was often called a sewing machine.
I removed the DG from my KLR and put a stocker on it. Wasn't thrilled about adding the extra weight, but I like don't need to put off noise all of the time. I don't feel the need to blip my throttle over and over at each red light, either. But sometimes I do make 'vroom vroom' noises inside my helmet.
Funny you mention the ST1100. A guy at work rode one on the 2,000 mile iron butt ride we did. His radiator blew in LaGrange Georgia. We were on the way back home on the last leg then in South Carolina he gave up and got a hotel while we continued on to finish the ride.
Not sure how 3 loud Harleys made it all the way and that sewing machine sounding bike didn't. I still think it comes down to how thick the candy shell on your ass is but then what do I know? I do have to admit a Gold WIng did make it to the end with us though. Maybe his candy shell dissolved riding with us. :D

2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
My bike has never been hauled. I actually ride it not haul it around. Maybe it's just me but that's what it was made for...
Didn't mean to make you look like a fool but sometimes it's necessary for people to learn.
You don't need a touring bike to ride long distances. I've got a solo seat and ape hangers. I do attach the windshield on long rides though so maybe I have a thin candy shell on my ass at those times.
Still cracks me up thinking about the first 1000 mile ride we did and I was on my Sportster and I heard some pansy on a Gold Wing complaining that his cd player wasn't working and it was gonna be a long hard ride because of it. Reminds me of you kinda :lol:

2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
ferraiolo1 said:
You're grasping at straws for insults now.

I expected more from you.
You might want to stand closer to the heat wherever you are to melt that candy ass if you are that butt hurt about my comments. :)
Never expect anything from faceless people on the internet. That's another lesson for you for another time though.

2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
Yep my Harley is slow but it would still outrun your plastic bike being hauled in the back of your truck. :lol:

You may have never heard the term candy ass but it isn't new. We gotta get you out in the world more. First we will have to melt that candy shell on your ass though.

2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
Bottom line

Loud pipes are annoying to some and sound good to others. That is fine. Just don't make a stupid blanket statement that loud pipes can't save lives because it has in the past. Do they save lives all the time, nope. Can they sometimes though? Yes.

2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
cfesting said:
SierraHarley said:
Funny you mention the ST1100. A guy at work rode one on the 2,000 mile iron butt ride we did.
Yes, I see ST1100s/ST1300s etc. on the side of the road all the time an never see HDs broken down. Your one 2K ride is proof.
Never said Harleys never break down but nice try twisting my words.
Another funny story, a group of us took a ride down to Outer Banks one Sunday. A Honda 1100 ACE something or other, a Honda S1100, a Kawasaki Vulcan a Silver Wing and myself on my Harley. We stopped at a little Harley place down there and I had to hear all the jokes about Harleys leaking oil, that's why they keep the oil up front, etc. etc.
Anyways we go to leave and the Silver Wing wouldn't start. He had to get it towed. On the way back the Kawasaki blew his clutch and had to be towed.
Nope not saying all foreign bikes are pieces of crap and fail but just another funny story.

I've probably ridden more than both you and ferrarilol have combined so I'm just relaying some stories I've experienced over the years. Please don't take it personal.

2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
ferraiolo1 said:
I've never been in a situation where only my loud pipe would have been the way to save me.

I once was silly and rode those loud metal hogs whilst I though I was cool When every one looked at me as I rode around with my attention getting straight pipes.

His candy ass is just turning salty his brand and loud pipe style is failing and falling to the wayside as times progress.

And Those st bikes and ones like it usually have upwards of 100k on them. It's not uncommon for a plastic bike to have over 150k worth of trouble free miles.
I said it happened to me twice so it has happened. Maybe it didn't happen to you and that's fine, but it does happen. If you are riding to be cool then you are riding for the wrong reasons. You should enjoy riding, it isn't a fashion show. Stop buying and wearing clothes from your crotch rocket friends and just ride. Stop buying vehicles or parts just to try and make yourself look cool. I don't ride to impress although it sounds like you do. I have a Harley because I like it. I didn't buy the pipes thinking it would save my life, that's dumb. I bought them because I liked the looks and sound of them. Don't try to get things to be different or impress others, that's dumb and as you found out it didn't help you look any better. :lol:

I'm not against foreign bikes, I've owned a few Yamahas and a Kawasaki in the past. Most of the butt hurt I've seen though comes from the foreign bike owners towards Harley owners. Again my experience, you may have other experiences and that's fine.

2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
cfesting said:
SierraHarley said:
I've probably ridden more than both you and ferrarilol have combined so
You are probably wrong, but way to make false claims/assumptions.

When I see HDs broken down, I don't think it is "funny" as you mention in your tales of seeing jap bikes go down. In fact, I usually stop and help. Just another way that we are different, I suppose.
I am pretty sure I am right, if not no big deal though.
I think it is funny because of all the shit they gave me and karma was a bitch that day. Maybe your humor is not advanced enough to see that, not sure. I don't laugh at people broke down, just people being assholes then getting karma served to them on a nice steaming hot plate.

Yay for you, you helped someone as have I. I never asked for a gold star though, just another way that we are different I suppose.

2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
ferraiolo1 said:
I've too owned a few of both, and funny how you make assumptions about mileage.

As long as you like the way they sound. Screw all the people you annoy. Your state will eventually make dB requirements and you will have to install baffles. Only a matter of time.
Almost as funny as you making assumptions I ride a Harley because I think it makes me look cool I guess...
Exactly, as long as someone likes the sound of their vehicle and isn't an asshole like a neighbor revving it in the driveway then who cares what others think. I think it will be a very long time before they make a sound law here. What are you going to do if they make a law that your modified truck exhaust is too loud? You'll probably change it just like I would if mine didn't pass, no big deal.

2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
It isn't our thread to decide if it should be deleted. The OP should decide.

2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
I wouldn't consider it harassment if you broke the law though.
If you feel you are in compliance fight it, if not then it sucks but pay up.

2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
Would Oregon really be any better though?
How about moving a little East to the Midwest?

1 - 15 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.