Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done their own tranny flush? I'm just curious to know what you thought about doing it if you have, and how much of a PITA it was. From what I can gather you would need to have the bottom trans line in the new fluid (a lot of it, 5-6 gallons maybe?) and the top line routed to a catch container. After you did that, would you just start the truck and cycle it through drive and reverse a few times, making sure to not let your new fluid container go dry? If I'm way off someone please let me know. Thanks.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,194 Posts
Or you could have a line break like me and have almost all your trans fluid dump in the road :lol:

I would drop the pan and change the filter.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
bootstrap said:
Or you could have a line break like me and have almost all your trans fluid dump in the road :lol:

I would drop the pan and change the filter.
my friends wife had that happen totally forked her transmission and the shop had to buy her a new one. They removed the transmission line from the cooler and didnt reinstall the retention clip properly. stupid techs.

thinking about getting a pml pan for my truck.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ferraiolo1 said:
Guys read the how to article posted above...
Did this, and it seems easy enough. I'm glad I posted this. I wasn't sure if there'd be suction or not, and now I have learned how to avoid toasting my transmission. While I was waiting for replies I decided to go ahead and purchase this:
 

Attachments

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
Joined
·
17,133 Posts
Is that an extra capacity pan and does it have a drain plug?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
http://www.yourcovers.com/transpan_11025.php

Edit: I did not pay the extra $40 to have the "temperature sensor machining" done for a 1/8 NPT hole. To me that sounds like I'm paying someone to drill a hole and tap it with a 1/8 NPT plug... oh wait, that's exactly what it is. No thanks. I can handle that myself. Hell, there's three spots to "machine" for a temp sender unit. I could tap 1/8, 1/4, and 3/8 NPT, one in each, and just plug the ones I don't use. That sucks that they would charge so much for something so trivial. Unfortunately, there are people who don't know how to do it and they will just pay.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,194 Posts
ericlw said:
bootstrap said:
Or you could have a line break like me and have almost all your trans fluid dump in the road :lol:

I would drop the pan and change the filter.
my friends wife had that happen totally forked her transmission and the shop had to buy her a new one. They removed the transmission line from the cooler and didnt reinstall the retention clip properly. stupid techs.

thinking about getting a pml pan for my truck.
Luckily it didn't blow. Theres a very noticeable stream of transmission fluid along 2 miles of roadway before I noticed anything wrong. Thought the tranny was slipping, so I babied it into a parking lot.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ferraiolo1 said:
that's not a bad price at all. you should order a matching diff cover!
Wanna pay for it? I didn't let my wife know I purchased this. It's just going to show up and I'm going to play it off like, duh, I need to install this when I'm putting the headers on or I'll never be able to change the fluid. :D
 

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
Joined
·
17,133 Posts
nickpohlaandp said:
ferraiolo1 said:
that's not a bad price at all. you should order a matching diff cover!
Wanna pay for it? I didn't let my wife know I purchased this. It's just going to show up and I'm going to play it off like, duh, I need to install this when I'm putting the headers on or I'll never be able to change the fluid. :D
Yah, just tell her it is a Header Pan.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top