1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Seems like a good deal. Only tricky part is wiring up those dual voice coil subs correctly.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hartski,

That's what the interwebs is for. :)

·
Registered
795 Posts
Personally I would never buy speakers without hearing them first. MB uses hard dome tweets that to my ears always sound harsh. That's why I prefer speakers with soft dome tweets.

If each sub has dual 4Ω voice coils you will only be able to wire them to the amp as a 4Ω load. That would require wiring the dual VC's on each sub in series making each sub 8Ω. You would then wire the now 8Ω subs in parallel to present a 4Ω load to the amp. At that impedance your subs will only be getting 175W each. Since there is no way to wire these subs as a 2Ω load you won't be able to get the most from the sub amp which would be 250W to each sub. A pair of subs with dual 8Ω VC's would be the way to go. That way you could wire the VC's of each sub in parallel to make each sub 4Ω. You would then wire the subs in parallel to present the amp with a 2Ω load.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If they are both dual voice coils -- wiring each speaker in parallel (internally) would give each speaker 2Ω .. then you wire the two in series to make 4Ω total or in parallel to make 1Ω total.

The way you worded your writeup (B Cubed) are for dual 8Ω woofers - unless I missed something there.

Tim

·
Registered
795 Posts
I re-read it and the procedure is correct.

Since each sub has dual 4Ω voice coils. The preferred wiring procedure is to wire them series/parallel. To do this you begin by wiring the dual voice coils of each sub in series. This makes each sub 8Ω now. You would then wire the now 8Ω subs in parallel with each other to get a final 4Ω load.

Now if the subs were dual 8Ω you would wire the voice coils of each sub in parallel to make each sub 4Ω. You would then wire the now 4Ω subs in parallel to present a final 2Ω load to the amp. This is parallel/parallel wiring.

·
Registered
795 Posts
oops! my bad then. I only saw the 4Ω and 2Ω ratings. Making all parallel connections would be the way to go then.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
MBQ used to be great equipment, dominating the sound off lanes in the 80s and 90s, since Mazonics bought them out 10 or so years ago, I would rank them right up there with Dual, Audiopipe, an most other flea markit equipment. Just my opinion though, I used MBQ for mutiple applications when they were made in Germany an they WERE a great manufacturer, just sad to see what thev've become.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hook-UM said:
MBQ used to be great equipment, dominating the sound off lanes in the 80s and 90s, since Mazonics bought them out 10 or so years ago, I would rank them right up there with Dual, Audiopipe, an most other flea markit equipment. Just my opinion though, I used MBQ for mutiple applications when they were made in Germany an they WERE a great manufacturer, just sad to see what thev've become.
This is true. Its actually Maxxsonics but we get it. Its a good bang for the buck. Not competition level stuff but it will work. Im running 2 MB's in my truck and have had no problem. I am an Infinity component guy so I stick with them. GL!

·
Registered
193 Posts
@ Dmanj

Thanks for the link.
My opinion - since QB sells this as a kit -- wire it up the way they tell you to with the paperwork included in the kit .. it is their system - Complete. They will know how they want the 2 duals wired for their amp.
The components won't be running at 1 ohm -- you never want your components to run like that -- only the subs. Their amp has built-in crossovers, so the frequencies won't be shared by the components / subs .. well they do, but only at certain "drop off" rates (most likely 6dB but may be at high as 12dB depending on their internals).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.