Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,
I've seen other posters with this problem, unfortunately I have not found posts where people have posted what the problem was.

I have put two new and one used impact sensor onto my 2006 1500hd 6.0L Sierra, nothing clears the code, my mechanic has put his scanner on my OBD port trying to help clear the code. I know that typically just putting a new sensor on should clear the code when it does it's self-check at each start. The two new sensors were from Dorman and the used one was from the junkyard has a perfect match for the code on the sticker (the Dorman one doesn't)

I have checked the connection at the sensor for corrosion, I've pulled the panel by the hood latch and checked the connection for the airbag system there, I have looked at the module under the drivers seat and tugged on the wires there. I cleaned three locations where I have found grounding wires (two under the truck under the footwell, and one on the front bumper area). Nothing has helped.

I would really appreciate hearing from someone who has managed to clear this B0103 code and any other ideas people might have for me to check out.

Thanks In Advance,
Cory

·
Registered
2003 Silverado 1500 LS
1,339 Posts
I had this issue on '03 Silverado 1500. I replaced the two front impact sensors with brand new OEM parts and the code immediately went away.

You've got three things that make me a little suspicious:
1) you used Dorman parts (I would have used OEM)
2) you installed a junkyard sensor (never would I install junkyard sensor)
3) codes not matched (numbers should be matched IMO, but not 100% sure)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had this issue on '03 Silverado 1500. I replaced the two front impact sensors with brand new OEM parts and the code immediately went away.

You've got three things that make me a little suspicious:
1) you used Dorman parts (I would have used OEM)
2) you installed a junkyard sensor (never would I install junkyard sensor)
3) codes not matched (numbers should be matched IMO, but not 100% sure)
Thanks Chevy SS,
The Dorman parts codes are different from OEM parts but they are supposed to be the correct ones that I used. My mechanic's reader can see that the sensor is present but there is something else going on here. The junkyard sensor is in way better shape than the original that I removed from my truck, it was $10 so it was worth a try. My mechanic was concerned that the Dorman sensors weren't specific enough for my truck to eliminate the code, so that's why I tried the used part.
I'm checking wires for pin holes, engine compartment fuse box for corrosion, and cleaning ground locations today.
The code came up a few weeks after I did a creek crossing. It wasn't deeper than the bottom of the doors, but i'm wondering if this could be a potential cause. No water got into the cabin, so no damage to the module under the drivers seat.

Thanks for the reply,
Cory

·
Registered
2003 Silverado 1500 LS
1,339 Posts
Ahhhh, the "creek crossing" is a big clue. The front sensors would have gotten submerged. And if any of the wiring under there was a little worn, then water might have gotten in, and it would take a little while for the corrosion to take effect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahhhh, the "creek crossing" is a big clue. The front sensors would have gotten submerged. And if any of the wiring under there was a little worn, then water might have gotten in, and it would take a little while for the corrosion to take effect.
I'll discuss this with my mechanic! The wires are still factory wrapped, so I'm thinking that the wires have been fairly protected, but it is possible that there could be a crack or break in the insulation.

I connected my multimeter from the fuse for the airbag to one of the leads at the impact sensor plug and had continuity and same for the green ground wire to the negative lead of the battery. If I have corrosion on a wire will it show up on the multimeter with lower ohm's?

Cory

·
Registered
2003 Silverado 1500 LS
1,339 Posts
Those sensors/connectors seem prone to corrosion even in the best of times. My truck was never used off-road, and yet there was significant corrosion on both front impact sensors. One was actually swollen from internal corrosion. Maybe all you need is a couple of new pigtails with the connectors that plug into the impact sensors, then carefully solder them in place of the old wires.

Certainly use caution when messing around with this airbag stuff. You don't want to set off the air bag by mistake, or disable it somehow.

Please keep us all updated, and good luck with it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Need new sensors specific to your VIN. On my truck, there's only one factory in Singapore that makes them for GM and Dorman so it doesn't matter which brand as they came out of the same building.

Reactions: Chevy-SS

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Need new sensors specific to your VIN. On my truck, there's only one factory in Singapore that makes them for GM and Dorman so it doesn't matter which brand as they came out of the same building.
Hi Swathdiver,

I trusted my autoparts supplier to give me the right Dorman sensor, I double checked the sensor on their web page yesterday and I do have the correct one, and other than the numbers on the sticker they are identical to the original. Unfortunately it isn't the sensor that is my problem, although my impact sensor was swollen and the green/blue sand was falling out when I took it off of the truck. I'm quite certain that it needs replacing, however it isn't the root of my problem... When I have time I'll pull the impact sensor wires from the wiring harness and inspect them for kinks and rubs or splits.

I really appreciate any and all opinions and suggestions, so thank you for contributing!
Cory

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those sensors/connectors seem prone to corrosion even in the best of times. My truck was never used off-road, and yet there was significant corrosion on both front impact sensors. One was actually swollen from internal corrosion. Maybe all you need is a couple of new pigtails with the connectors that plug into the impact sensors, then carefully solder them in place of the old wires.

Certainly use caution when messing around with this airbag stuff. You don't want to set off the air bag by mistake, or disable it somehow.

Please keep us all updated, and good luck with it.
Hi Chevy-SS,
I'm going to put my multi meter back on those wires and write down the amps, when I'm doing that I will wiggle those wires and check for breaks at the connectors. And yes my sensors were like many other GMC/Chevy owners sensors - Swollen and split with leaking green 'sand like material'. Unfortunately this was not the root of the issue, just a parallel problem that needed attention.

I've been disconnecting the battery whenever working on this project. Thanks for your ideas! Keep them coming. My mechanic suggested last week that if I didn't find an obvious problem that I needed to start pulling wires, I mentioned the creek crossing to him today and he did agree with you that this seems probable.

I will definitely update this thread with my findings and the corrective actions, I have noticed that the threads that I was hoping to find answers to my problem were not updated with the fix!

Cory

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
1,511 Posts
The full-service manual for your truck will have the detailed procedure for what you need to do to safely work on the airbag system. It's more than just disconnect the battery.

It also will have the diagnostic procedure to use for figuring out the B0103 code.

Paper version isn't cheap, but the online subscription is...

·
Registered
558 Posts
Use the troubleshooting guide to properly diagnose that code. When my front sensor died, a possibility was the computer module being bad if certain tests didn't pass.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi ChevySS!
It is finally driveway repair weather here in Canada! I removed the plastic skid plate just behind the front airbag sensor and proceeded to remove the sensor wires from the wiring harness, while doing so I noticed that the wiring harness was pinched between the frame and a rigid hose, maybe the transmission cooling lines that run into the rad. I was very happy to see this! Removing the skid plate was key, it allowed me access to the harness and greatly increased my visual inspection capabilities. I pulled the sensor wires out of the harness and indeed I had a split where it was pinched. With the sensor and battery disconnected the wire was soldered and sealed with silicone and heat shrink tubing. With everything back in place and the truck started for ramp removal, the persistent air bag service light did not return!!!

Thanks for suggesting that the creek crossing was a likely cause of the corrosion of the damaged wire, you were right on the money.

·
Registered
2003 Silverado 1500 LS
1,339 Posts
Heya Cory,

Glad you got her all fixed up, and it sounds like you did a nice job. I miss Canada, I was born in Halifax, NS, but been in States for many years. Canada does get cold, haha. When my mother was growing up (on a farm) in Nova Scotia, in the Winter the snow drifts would be up to the tops of the telephone poles!!!

Take care, Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Heya Cory,

Glad you got her all fixed up, and it sounds like you did a nice job. I miss Canada, I was born in Halifax, NS, but been in States for many years. Canada does get cold, haha. When my mother was growing up (on a farm) in Nova Scotia, in the Winter the snow drifts would be up to the tops of the telephone poles!!!

Take care, Dave
Hey Dave, I really appreciate the help and I hope this thread helps someone else out!
I've been in Western Canada since 1993, I grew up in New Brunswick! I think it's cool that it worked out that one maritimer was helping out another. I hope that you get a chance to come back for a visit sometime.

Cory

1 - 19 of 19 Posts