Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Can someone please tell me if the motor is hot, how much drag should I feel on my fan clutch? (Replaced last year)

I can turn it by hand.

I have an issue at idle.

A/C goes warm (cold when I speed up) and recently noticed hotter than normal engine temps at idle.

Thank you.
Lee

·
Registered
2002 RCSB Z71
165 Posts
The fan is supposed to turn by hand but you should feel some drag on it (it shouldn't free spin). When mine was bad it was acting like yours, warm stopped, cold moving. When parked with the a/c on rev the engine, you should hear the fan roar. I'm betting you don't....

·
Registered
2003 Silverado 1500 LS
1,517 Posts
By 'cooling stack', I'm pretty sure he means the radiator. I was gonna suggest that as well. Radiators can get clogged with dirt and leaves, and sometimes even a plastic bag gets sucked up there, so check that area out and make sure nice and clean. I usually hang a bright light in where the fan is, and then look through the front to make sure all is clean. Hose it all off and blow out with compressed air (carefully, so as you don't bend the fragile cooling fins).

The fan clutch will turn easily by hand, with just a slight drag. My factory fan clutch was quiet as a mouse, and when my engine seemed to be running warmer than normal, I switched to aftermarket fan clutch, and now my truck sounds like a damn full-size commercial truck, it's way too noisy!!!

A/C may need a recharge, that will cure a lot of issues with it alternating between warm/cold.

And don't overlook the obvious, make sure coolant level is full, with clean coolant, and good thermostat. I installed slightly lower temp stat in mine. Of course, could be bad water pump too. It's pretty basic stuff, so you should be able to figure it out, and the repair won't cost you an arm & leg. These older GM trucks are worth fixing up, they're terrific trucks.... ;)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
They can turn by hand, but you should feel resistance, even more when hot....
Also check radiator fins for blockage, low coolant. Low refrigerant typically causes warm to cold....Pretty certain everyone on here will give similar responses..lol

I bought a standard oem clutch from Autozone for my 93 when I built the engine. Failed in 3 months..Bought a heavy duty and I'm on like 4 years now..

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2002 RCSB Z71
165 Posts
When I replaced mine I went with the severe duty because that's they way the parts book led me. It roared all the time like a Freightliner lol. Recently swapped it out to a heavy duty because of the noise and I'm much happier. If anyone wants this basically new severe duty clutch and let it go for $20 plus shipping.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
When I replaced mine I went with the severe duty because that's they way the parts book led me. It roared all the time like a Freightliner lol. Recently swapped it out to a heavy duty because of the noise and I'm much happier. If anyone wants this basically new severe duty clutch and let it go for $20 plus shipping.
Oh yeah I noticed a noise difference going to heavy-duty...Can only imagine severe duty. Heavy-duty isn't that loud, but definitely noticeable...

Went heavy duty because I figured my ~400 hp engine on a 28" core radiator wasn't cutting it... Probably what led to the standard to fail early... My engine bay is . Going to run my newly purchased exhaust system and wrap the new headers soon.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts