Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last couple of weeks I have noticed a very subtle vibration in the floorboards under my feet as I drive. I rolled down the windows a couple times to see if I could hear anything, but I couldn't tell. This evening, I jacked up the front to get the wheels off the ground and rotated each one by hand. The passenger side is quiet as can be. The driver's side, on the other hand, sounds like a bag of glass marbles when I spin it. I pulled the caliper to see if my brakes were hung up. Sound remained.

So, bad wheel hub? It just turned 90k.

Is it ok to replace just one? Or is it better to do both? Any particular brands I should look for? Rock Auto lists Timken, Moog, or SKF. One better than another?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Any movement in the tire when you hold it at 9 and 3? or 12 and 6? and shake it while the vehicle is in the air

I thought I had a bad hub on a previous vehicle. Turns out the tires I had on it had a little cupping. Rotated the front to the rear and the vibration went away.

If it does in fact turn out to be the hub I would recommend Timken. They seem to have very good life. I would replace both just because the other is probably not too far behind.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Most likely is a wheel bearing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wanted to update my post...I replaced the wheel hubs on both sides. The driver's side was going bad. Sounded like there was sand in it when I had it off and turned it by hand. The passenger side was fine but I replaced it anyway since I had it on hand and had the time to do it.

Long story short, install was pretty straight forward. No surprises. I just took a trip to the hunting property this past weekend and averaged 18.4 mpg on the highway. Not too shabby.

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
Timken is a good choice... I recently put timkens on the front of my yukon... took me 30 minutes per side... 2wd and I have powertools.... gained an mpg by changing those roaring bastards out.

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
Awsome guys. I had bearings go out on my old 2004 Blazer and they charged me over $400 each side to put in new ones. What kind of mileage did you have when they went out?

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
155k... they were original bearings... I bought the timkens from partsgeek also.... they were $117ea

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
Davidryan: So true, when mine were going out, they always became worse when I rounded a curve in the direction of the bad bearing. Like on a highway and you hit a bend in the road. Sometimes you won't even hear it until you swerve right or left.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.