Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

What battery do you trust in your truck?

• NAPA

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Optima

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • ACdelco

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Duracell

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Interstate

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Duralast

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Ever start

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Die hard

• Bosch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Exide

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting off work yesterday on my way to drop off my son at daycare. My alternator goes dead while driving. My truck has Dual NAPA Legend 850CA and 675 CCA. The batteries we able to last a 10 min drive to the school, restart the truck and 10 min drive to the local AutoZone. They are rated for 110 min reserve. So more than enough to accomplish this. After already deducing the alternator is shot. I have the batteries checked they are about 5yrs old. 1 is good just needs a charge which in the circumstance is understandable and the other tested as bad. But still had a voltage of 11.75V. More than likely that a cell has died. Have done a little research only to find mostly add driven battery recommendations.

So what is everyone else running in their truck and had the best results?

· Member Extraordinaire, SilveradoSierra Guru
13,798 Posts
The batteries should be completely charged before testing them. Unless they won't hold a charge, you won't know if they are bad unless you fully charge them before testing them.

· Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ASTE25 said:
The batteries should be completely charged before testing them. Unless they won't hold a charge, you won't know if they are bad unless you fully charge them before testing them.
This is why I have not kicked them to the curb yet. Give them a chance to charge up. But this poll should be a good referencing addition to the site for others looking at replacing.

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
17,133 Posts
I put an Exide in my truck. It has 100 extra CC amps. My "Start Engine Soon" "Battery Low" messages come on in 2 hours plus instead of ten minutes with my factory battery when I sit in my truck with the radio on. And it didn't cost me $200

http://www.menards.com/main/electrical/ ... 9649221811

· Servicemen, TOTM
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
7,671 Posts
I've got a Duracell from Sams Club in mine. It starts and runs plus the radio sounds great. Getchya some.

· Registered
230 Posts
Hard to beat an Everstart Maxx from Walmart. They are made by Johnson Controls, which makes Exide and many other brands. 3 year free replacement, 5 year pro rata. I've used them for the last 10 years in all my vehicles and have always given great service. All have lasted at least 6 years. Have one in my 93' GMC that was installed in May of 08' and is still going today. Just replaced my original AC Delco in my 2011 GMC, with a new Everstart Maxx, and cost was $110. All others I priced for it were anywhere from $130-$160 for comparable CCA. Plus if you do get stranded somewhere and it is still under warranty, I'll bet you will be very close to a Walmart to get it replaced without any hassle.

· Registered
920 Posts
The original AC Delco in my daily driver 2003 Silverado lasted for 7.5 years. Because it died at the most inconvenient time, (they usually do ;) ) I had a buddy take me to the closest store, Wal-Mart, and I got an Ever-Start. Must of got a not so good one cause it lasted about 3 years.
I researched and went with an Optima Yellow top. I have a fair amount of extra electrical goodies and wanted the deep cycle. It's been in my truck for 4 years and never misses a beat. Also run one in my 1/4 mile drag car with no charging system on it.

· Registered
1,552 Posts
East Penn Manufaturing has a battery plant about 10 minutes from me in Hamburg Pa. Deka (East Pen) is making thousands of batteries in multiple different brands per day. It is the worlds largest single-site, lead-acid battery facility. The make Deka, Intimidator, PlusStart, Dualast, Duracell, Exide, ProMaster, StartRite, East Penn, Ready Power, MK and Synergy batteries among many other brands. Simple fact is. 90% of them are the same battery with a different sticker. There are really only 3 main manufacturers. East Penn, Johnson Controls and Exide. Some of the brands AC Delco being one are who ever currently owns the contract. I have not replaced the battery in my truck yet but when it needs it I will get it an Optima Red top. No question about liking the Optima for being a dry cell vibration resistant battery that can be mounted anywhere at any angle.

· Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fisger8new said:
East Penn Manufaturing has a battery plant about 10 minutes from me in Hamburg Pa. Deka (East Pen) is making thousands of batteries in multiple different brands per day. It is the worlds largest single-site, lead-acid battery facility. The make Deka, Intimidator, PlusStart, Dualast, Duracell, Exide, ProMaster, StartRite, East Penn, Ready Power, MK and Synergy batteries among many other brands. Simple fact is. 90% of them are the same battery with a different sticker. There are really only 3 main manufacturers. East Penn, Johnson Controls and Exide. Some of the brands AC Delco being one are who ever currently owns the contract. I have not replaced the battery in my truck yet but when it needs it I will get it an Optima Red top. No question about liking the Optima for being a dry cell vibration resistant battery that can be mounted anywhere at any angle.
Yes I am aware that there are only a hand full of battery makers. I have also heard that since Optima moved their production to Mexico they have had many issues. About 6 yrs ago when my wife worked at AutoZone she would get a lot of people returning the Optimas'. They would quit within a few months or so. I wouldn't want to be paying for a premium battery just to be turning around and replacing it a few times in a year or two. Especially when I run a dual battery system.

· Registered
1,297 Posts
The one issue with exides is they tend to outgas more than any other battery and you get that nice blue fuzz going on.

I ran the AAA battery truck setup in several different counties over the last 10 years. Exide used to be who made them for AAA, after 3 years they dumped them in favor of Deka and never looked back. IMHO Deka is the best setup, saw very few issues with them. Interstate is ok as well, but generally didnt last as long.

· Registered
219 Posts
my factory battery in my 01 died in 2008 so i put a ac delco in it [$110], it lasted 4 yrs. i replaced it with a rural king battery made by exide, it was on sale for $49, so will see how long it lasts.

· Registered
2012 Silverado 2500HD 4x4
2,620 Posts
Have not had an AC Delco live beyond four years. Optima Yellow tops as replacements in the last five vehicles and they all were sold with that same Optima in it!!
Current truck has a Yellow top in it as the original AC Delco died less than five years old!!

· Registered
2012 Silverado 2500HD 4x4
2,620 Posts
Whew!! Came close! Just replaced an AC Delco with a 12/13 sticker on it in my wife's car! Almost made it!! Spent the extra $10 and got an Optima Yellow top with a 5/17 sticker! Both my truck and her car are running Optima's.. Well see!

· Registered
1,194 Posts
I voted Napa not because they are the best, but I've had a Napa deep cycle marine battery since 2013 for my boat and RV. Originally purchased it for the boat but that boat is gone. So now I use it for my camper and put it in my aluminum boat to run the troller motor. I have drained that thing near dead many times and it still seems to charge up and hold power like new. And I think I paid around $125 for it. Probably $150 now.
If you are getting 4-5 years out of a battery I call that pretty good. $150 every 5 years doesn't seem bad at all.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.