Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive me if i'm posting this incorrectly, I'm new here. I have a 2014 sierra with max tow package. about 55000 miles on it. Recently did a tire rotation, and brakes look like they have a lot of wear left. I'm not normally hard on brakes, so this does not surprise me. This truck sees about 20000 miles a year. 16K of it is just a daily driver. The rest of the time i pull either a light snowmobile trailer, or our pretty heavy travel trailer. I know its not an HD. Our trailer is about 8300 pounds loaded, well under the stated capacity of 11,300lbs, but still a considerable weight behind a half ton. It would be nice with this trailer if i had just a little more brake on the truck end. Wondering what would be a good upgrade without spending thousands. Some day i will likely own an HD, but for now this is what i have, and quite honestly it does everything i need it to do, and i get decent milage back and forth to work. Almost every mile is put on it here in the flat land, very little hills or mountains,

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
travel trailer does have brakes, and the truck has a factory brake controller, just was wanting a little more help up front, if you go to hard with the trailer brakes you skid tires on trailer during hard braking, and have very jerky stops on light braking events.

· Registered
1,520 Posts
Powestop Z36 Extreme Truck and Tow brake disc and pad kit. I've run them on multiple trucks and a lot of others around here do also. I don't know about on the newer trucks but know it gave a significant boost to braking ability on all the trucks I have run them on.

· Registered
880 Posts
got mine thru Auto Anything

· Registered
29 Posts
I just had the Power Stop Z36 kit put on my 2015 1500, I also swapped out the brake lines because I felt like the stock lines were a bit mushy. Really like the feel of the Z36. Keep an eye out for sales this time of year, I ended up getting a great deal through Summit Racing.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like it is unanimous, with the powerstop brakes. Thanks everyone. I'll keep an eye out for a deal and run these factory brakes till spring then. Ive got to give GM credit there, these factory brakes have a lot of life in them. Getting a lot more life out of these than i got on my previous truck(03 sierra). If you never tow or haul anything heavy, i bet you can get 100k miles on a set of factory brakes.

· Registered
105 Posts
I don't tow much but my rig weighs 7,020lbs with me in it and a almost empty fuel tank so I'm going the run EBC's Extra Duty pads and their BSD rotors when I need to change mine out.

· Super Moderator, How-To Author, TOTM
5,109 Posts
The OE brakes have such good performance for a factory brake because Akebono made them for the K2XX trucks. Special little team effort there to produce what are some good factory brakes. This doesn't mean they cannot be improved upon, but that's why they lasted longer than ones you may have had in the past. I too like Power Stop. Had good performance with them in past.
http://akebonobrakes.com/news/akebono-c ... -silverado

· Registered
1,488 Posts
Well i seen all kinds of post about upgrading the truck brakes.. But not one on the trailer brakes... How old is the trailer and when were the last time brakes were touched on it.. From growing up in that area i know how harsh and damp the climate can get. Your trailer probably sits for a few months at a time..I would say its time to open it up and replace.. With the braking you described with the trailer its time.. You should be able to dial in your brakes so they are smooth with any application...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.