Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
17,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a smoke colored AVS Bugflector II. Would that be a good choice? How much should I look to pay for one?

Is there another brand you would recommend?

17,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Never mind. I just pulled the trigger on one from AutoAnything.com for $46 with a $10 MIR.

17,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the photo 09. I was kind of wondering how it might look. None of the photos on line that I saw had as good a photo as yours. Mine will be contrasting with a Blue Topaz (Dark Blue) truck and I think it will look good.

How tight does the defelector sit to the hood and do you have to worry about debris getting stuck under the deflector? I had a deflector on my 91 S10 Blazer and it used to collect leaves and other crap between it and the hood. It would get wet and stay wet and eventually, it started several rust spots along the front edge. I don't want to have to worry about that again.

The reason I am getting the deflector now is that I had a big (Dime sized) chip in the leading edge of the hood. I don't know if it was from something hitting the hood or not but it looked like it was going to keep spreading so I got it fixed and now I want to avoid any further problems. The big front lips on these NNBS hoods are prime targets for stones and such.

· Super Moderator, How-To Author, TOTM
5,240 Posts
Debris is just something to be aware of and remove as needed. Better to have the protection from high speed debris and have to clear some leaves now and then. I have reservations for the style that fits like skin. It is too close and will promote rust just like the LeBra's did in the 90's. Just not on as big of scale. Use the style that sticks up a bit and it allows air between and it throws air up enough to help bug deflection from the windshield. The skin style won't do a thing for the windshield. FWIW if anyone else is thinking about it. Nice buy with MIR.
Edit: Reading and typing about it got me thinking about how I have put this on the back burner for too long. I went and purchased one too just now. I went with the medium profile original design. The high profile was just plain huge on my K2XX. No chips yet and gonna keep it that way. I bought it from Amazon since even with the MIR at Auto Everything, I still paid less for my application. Only 1 state away. so it shouldn't take long to get it.

17,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, the AVS Bugflector II should be a good one or is it one that "fits like a skin"?

5,240 Posts
The BugflectorII is the high profile. The biggest protector they make and leaves space between hood and flector. Your good to go. I did the medium for cosmetics and it still leaves space between hood and flector and it kicks air up still for windshield protection. The flectorII is the most protection, but it's just too big on my truck IMO. Being that my truck is Tungsten the medium will blend right in and go mostly un noticed.

· Registered
3,390 Posts
I have the weathertech version, pretty similar. I have had two issues (other than occasionally pulling debris out from behind it, but i do that anyway around the wipers regularly) is it caused the windshield trim pieces to rattle at highway speed, which i fixed with 3m foam tape. Its a pretty common problem with deflectors. The other issue isn't one i can definitely prove other than i have seen stuff hit my windshield which seemed to have kicked up unexpectedly and wack my windshield as if being pushed upwards in a jetstream. I have had 5 windshields in 5 years and three of them are because of debris cracking the windshield.

The other two replacements are because it seems competent windshield replacement technicians are tough to find or something....

5,240 Posts
I am pretty impressed. I just ordered my flector yesterday and it is here today already. Barely 24 hours. Go Amazon.

17,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now, if that one that am thinking about ordering tonight will get here before I submit the order.

17,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rambodog said:
I am pretty impressed. I just ordered my flector yesterday and it is here today already. Barely 24 hours. Go Amazon.
Pictures are required once it is installed.

17,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Nick:
It should arrive this week and I will be vigilant for that flapping noise. If it does start, I know how to fix it now and you will have saved me a lot of frustration.

5,240 Posts
esox07 said:
Rambodog said:
Pictures are required once it is installed.
Yeah will do. It's on now. I advise 2 people for the K2xx trucks. I managed to drop it and enlisted my wife and we managed to drop it again. It installs with clips that will let go if your trying to center flector while they are loose. Otherwise it is an easy install. I will get some pics tomorrow. 5:30 and already dark. I tried and the pics were less than stellar.

5,240 Posts
Here are some pics. Seems pretty sturdy and doesn't budge a bit on the highway. No added noise either.

Attachments

17,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, that is on a 2014, but should be similar to the 2013. I should get mine by Fedex tomorrow and will try to get it on and post some photos. Then will come the test drive at interstate speeds for wind noise.

17,133 Posts
OK, so the AVS BugFlector II arrived today as promised. First off, while installing it, I noticed a couple scratches on it that I wasn't too happy about, but I didn't want to have to deal with returns and all that crap so I bit the bullet there. I figured it wouldn't even be noticeable after a Wisconsin winter any way. It is just that "new" should look new.
Anyway, the install went very easy and I didn't require any assistance. The next step was to hit the interstate and see if I was going to be victim of the "flapping noise" issue that many have with these. Well, it took until I got up to about 75 mph, but it was there. I think it might have been on both sides, but definitely the passenger side. I don't drive 75 all that often so I have decided to just let it go and if it becomes an issue, I will deal with it next spring according to the write up for the fix. Bottom line is so far, I am quite happy with it. Unlike the in channel vent visors I had on a couple years ago.
As promised, a few photos of it installed.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Attachments

5,240 Posts
I think AVS is aware of the noise issue. If you notice the flector was shortened a bit from 2013 to 2014. It doesn't wrap around the corner above headlight on the 2014. I was actually surprised when I saw that it covers the hood only. I have always had them wrap the corner and not being there I am almost sure it has to do with the ends vibrating and making noise. With the square front end on the K2XX, I wonder if during R&D the noise was worse and prompted the shortened version? I have never had a chip or bugs on the corner on any vehicle probably due to air flow and with the added flector it certainly beefs up that air flo. I am sure it will be fine and so far am still happy with it. I can't put my finger on it, but I like what it adds cosmetically. I no longer experience the water spray on windshield when stopping with water on the hood. Not that it really bothered me. Esox07- 3M plastic polish works great to repair scratches. I managed to booger mine up a little and I got the scratches out real easy with a few dabs and a microfiber hand buff. Stuff is great on goggles and face shields.

Attachments

5,240 Posts
I think AVS is aware of the noise issue. If you notice the flector was shortened a bit from 2013 to 2014. It doesn't wrap around the corner above headlight on the 2014. I was actually surprised when I saw that it covers the hood only. I have always had them wrap the corner and not being there I am almost sure it has to do with the ends vibrating and making noise. With the square front end on the K2XX, I wonder if during R&D the noise was worse and prompted the shortened version? I have never had a chip or bugs on the corner on any vehicle probably due to air flow and with the added flector it certainly beefs up that air flo. I am sure it will be fine and so far am still happy with it. I can't put my finger on it, but I like what it adds cosmetically. I no longer experience the K2XX water spray on windshield when stopping with water on the hood. Not that it really bothered me. Esox07- 3M plastic polish works great to repair scratches. I managed to booger mine up a little and I got the scratches out real easy with a few dabs and a microfiber hand buff. Stuff is great on goggles and face shields.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.