Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought who better to ask than you guys on what is the best entry level pump action shot gun? Also what kind of experiences good or bad have you had with certain models?
Currently I am looking at a Weatherby PA-08. The gun will be used for multi species bird hunting. Was also considering a Benelli Nova.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have both a Nova and a 870. Both very nice and reliable weapons. If I had to choose one it would be the 870 simply because it is tried and true and there are many aftermarket accessories for them. However, you would not be disappointed with the Nova either.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'd agree with an 870. Most reliable shotgun I've ever owned. You can buy an 870, a couple barrels, another stock or two, and you can have several different guns just by changing a few things around. A 30" vent rib for birds, a 26" rifled for slugs, a pistol grip for home defense... the options are virtually unlimited with that gun. Mossberg 500 would be about the same in terms of versatility, but I've found the 870 to be put together better, with tighter tolerances and an overall better shooting experience.

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
Browing BPS hunter. I picked a very nice one up for $350 at a gunshow... other than that 870express mag or whichever 870 will take a 3".... no use in buying a gun that wont take a 3".

Ive shot many 870's and they're so smooth... but my browning is just... its like an extension of me. Rabbits, squirrels, quail, dove, duck.... they fear my browning! Not that they shouldn't be afraid if I was armed with an 870.

I love remington... I will only buy remington rifles... but in 12ga pump hunting gun... gotta give the nod to browning.

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII

·
Registered
255 Posts
Canadadry, my son has had a Benelli Super Nova for 5 or 6 years. It performs very well with 2 3/4 up to 3 1/2 shells. You can even mix different size shells in the magazine. We hunt geese together and it performs as well as my Benelli SBE. Cost is within your price range. The Duck Commanders use Benelli Nova's and semi-auto's exclusively. Just my opinion and personal experience.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for all the input. I have heard that a guy really can't lose going with a Remington, Benelli or a Mossberg. It's refreshing too hear that you can find an item that is both affordable still very high quality, who would have thought that item would be a shot gun:) my strategy at this point is likely going to be some more reading and then finally to hold all I them at the store and see how they feel. Anyone have an opinion on must have accessories that I should get as soon as I buy?

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
Choke removal tool is useful... and I have full, modified, and improved cylinder chokes...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Nova's have way too much plastic. They feel like they are made of Lego's. I suggest you just skip the hassle of trying to find out which one you like better and just get the 870. I have two shotguns and they are both 870's. One in 12g and the other in 20g. Ive shot a Nova, Super Nova, Winchester, Mossberg 500, and a weatherby, and they just couldnt come close (all in that price range of course). Save yourself some time and just get what you'll end up with anyway. :cool:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sanc9996 said:
Cooper89 said:
Remington 870 pump always

^THIS
I'm glad you agree, my first shotgun was a Remington 870 20 guage youth model my dad got me. I got it when I was 8 and I'm 24 and still take it with me on occasion. I got a 12 later on and as far as pumps I won't buy anything else than a 870. I'm a browning guy if that helps my doubles and semis are all browning along with my deer rifle but you can't beat the Remington 870 pump as far as pumps. I read somewhere before there's more Remington 870s made than any other commercial gun. There must be a reason. As far as must haves I would probably get an assortment of chokes and probably a spare barrel or two in different lengths. The most important would be plenty of shells!!

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
Cooper89 said:
I'm glad you agree, my first shotgun was a Remington 870 20 guage youth model my dad got me. I got it when I was 8 and I'm 24 and still take it with me on occasion. I got a 12 later on and as far as pumps I won't buy anything else than a 870. I'm a browning guy if that helps my doubles and semis are all browning along with my deer rifle but you can't beat the Remington 870 pump as far as pumps. I read somewhere before there's more Remington 870s made than any other commercial gun. There must be a reason. As far as must haves I would probably get an assortment of chokes and probably a spare barrel or two in different lengths. The most important would be plenty of shells!!

I have a remington 1100 and I still choose my browning pump over it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I love the 870 so much that I own at least one in every gauge including .410! That being said, I have another pump gun I hunt deer with most of the time. Winchester 1300, gas assist pump. No pump I own gets the second round chambered faster. Came with a laminated wood stock and I have 2 barrels, a 39" and a rifled buck barrel. More are readily available. This is a great woods gun and I don't worry about nicking it up as I do with some of my prettier Wing Masters. Price is right also.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have a Nova and Remington 870, I like the 870 more for everything but duck hunting. The nova's recoil is nice when your backs up against something, other than that the 870 is superior IMO. The wood feels a lot better in my hands when wet, sounds contradictory, but the camo finish on the nova makes it slick as hell when wet. Guns are like trucks though, everyone likes different set-ups with different mod's

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.