Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done lots of research online while trying to find what would be the perfect exhaust set up for a truck with the 5.3 v8. So far I haven't found anything on which kind of full set up would be the best for a daily driven truck with no major mods to it. What setup would lead to having the most low end-mid range torque/horsepower? The setup I've bought and will be installing soon is 1 3/4 long tube headers, y pipe, no cats, to a single borla xr1 muffler. The piping diameter will all be 3 inches. Based on my research this sounds like the absolute best setup. I just want to know everyone's own thoughts on if this sounds about right or if there is a better setup. This should give me the right exhaust velocity for low-mid range as well as a very free flowing setup with little back pressure so it all comes out free and fast!

· Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I can't wait to install it. Only bad part is I'm too broke to afford a tune anytime soon. The shop I called said it'd be $600-$1000 and that sounds insane. There's NO WAY I'll pay anything over $400.

· Registered
247 Posts
Free flowing and little backpressure is not always good.
Removing cats, which are highflow will not give you any more power.

· Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You don't want any backpressure. That myth has been debunked many times. It's all about the speed of exhaust flow which is why a narrower pipe on certain engines is beneficial. If you have a pipe that's straight with hardly any bends and the right diameter for the gases to flow fast enough, its better than one with bends that create backpressure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.