Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Trying to figure out the best launch method for my 2013 1500 6.2 with 3.73 gears. Gonna go to the track and make a run but I don't wanna do more than I need. Just trying to find what my truck will get at my elevation with me driving and I don't wanna be super hard on it so I jut wanna do one or two runs. What do you guys think is the best launch? I noticed with my last truck (2012 5.3) that just going full throttle from a dead stop....didn't seem that great. Like there's a full second of hesitation before it starts to rev. My current truck though has low gears so I'm afraid to powerbrake and get my RPMS high cuz I'll just burn out when I roll off the brake. So I've kinda decided on just a half-throttle approach until about 2,000 rpms and than give er the onions. Any thoughts on your favorite method? Never really done any drag races before so I don't know what the good methods are.

· Super Moderator, How-To Author, TOTM
5,240 Posts
I do not drag my truck, but if I were to do it I would remove all driver aids and choose to pre load the drive train. Just mashing the gas sends a lot of torque all at once and will cause tire spin the easiest. Pre loading with the foot on the brake and one on the gas bringing up the RPM's slowly loads up the drive train against the torque converter which is less stress on the components as a whole, but creates heat in the tranny which can hurt it so watch those temps. Basically find what RPM your truck can brake stand at before breaking loose the tires and that is your launch zone RPM. If you cannot launch in this fashion without spinning, you have too much power for the tires at hand to handle. Don't fill the gas tank. Run with a quarter tank. If you find that you cannot obtain the needed brake force, you can try putting it in neutral and revving the gas sharply while pushing down on brake and you should feel it go a bit further down to floor giving you some extra bite. Good luck and stay off the walls.
Edit: Also if your running street tires, you don't need to burn out so avoid the water box. It is for slicks to do burnout's only. If you do it , your wasting time and tires.

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! Yeah I don't like to drag much, it's hard on crap and I still owe $27k on the truck so let's not tear my driveline out or shear my gears. Ended up just running against my brothers 1981 C10 with a built 427 Chevy big block and smoked him. Tried to make it fair so i launched like he did. No TC, no Stabilitrac, powerbraked to about 2,000 and rolled off brake to WOT. Wasn't much of a race haha. First launch was good, second one I spun for about 3 seconds but still finished about 6 lengths ahead in the 1/4.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.