Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a leveling kit for my 02 Silverado, to clear 305/55r20 tires, I'm aware I will have to trim the fenders a bit. Anyways, I have heard bad things about rough country kits, I just don't want my truck to ride like a tractor after I level it. Any info helps!

· Supr Moderator AutoTech SS-Guru Mbr Extraordinaire
2015 High Country Duramax
19,445 Posts
I would get an actual lift with a diff drop. It will ride better and have longer part life span than the level since all the angles will be better.

With a level cranked enough to clear those tires, your angles will be pretty bad. Especially the upper ball joint.

· TOTM
6,243 Posts
I had the full RC leveling kit on my 06. Loved the look and got nearly 60k miles out of it with no issues. They'll probably be running a special on it this month.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,539 Posts
Keys are keys and that's all a leveling kit for your model is. You shouldn't go more that 2" with a leveling kit of any sort on that truck. The more you crank it, the less downward suspension travel you'll have, until you bottom out on the droop stops. Get a real lift or go with smaller tires.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was hoping to run -24 offset rims, but yes I might have to run 285/60r20 tires. I don't want to get into lifting, cause that's when it gets pricy. But okay thanks for the info, does anyone have any suggestions on brands I should look into? To keep that Cadillac-style ride that Chevy's are known for.

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
22,227 Posts
Keep it stock or install a real lift to retain that stock ride. Cranking tbars like said decreases your down travel and you will hit your bump stops sooner resulting in a rough ride. It's not bad, but it's not stock ether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator, Servicemen-USMC, SS Guru
10,065 Posts
No way you're going to level without impacting the ride. I have my RC keys cranked, and more than they should be for sure, probably right about 2.75". My truck, same style as yours, rides like shit. I got used to it, but on those bigger bumps I'm still dropping a few F-bombs when I hit them.

Also, I don't think you'll fit that 305 even if you max crank. It may "fit", with some trimming, but it still may not have full articulation and when you hit a bump it could jam in the wheel well...not get stuck, but it could hit pretty hard.

This is where you need to think about what you want, and what you're willing to accept. What you want, is just big enough for a certain look...what you need to get that look is a full lift, at least 4" with a diff drop.

Not what you want to hear, but I've been there and I wished I lifted years ago...

· Super Moderator, Servicemen-USMC, SS Guru
10,065 Posts
Budget? Cheap is RCX, but they have a lot of haters due to an old rep for a bad design. BDS, Cognito, Fabtech, McGaugheys, just to name a few of the higher level kits. Zone is in the middle, made by the same company owns BDS.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.