1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· US Navy Vet, TOTM, Law Enf ret.
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
6,602 Posts
He didn't mention those catch cans are about $500 :cautious:

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah some of the expensive ones don't provide access to the element inside so it can be cleaned like many of the cheaper ones do. The cheaper ones can do the same as the expensive ones.

Their video may have been made with BS Software, with the Batt Poo Crazy Backside plugin!
Font Display device Event Circle Art

2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
6,602 Posts
It's probably about time I took the stainless filter out of my Elite catch can and cleaned it. I put the can on about 3 years and 13,000 miles ago.

Reactions: RedSLEd

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yessir... sounds like a good plan.

I don't remember the brand, but I bought one of those expensive ones at one point... and I returned it because you could not get to the element inside to clean it. Some company out of Colorado.

He must have been smokling dope cause he got all upset that I wanted to return it. I had to threaten to do a credit card charge back for misrepresenting his product cause...before I purchased, I emailed the company and asked about this and they lied and told me the catch can they sold was 100% serviceable.

It wasn't...but the one I got from eBaby for $50 was actually 100% serviceable and it was probably made in southern china by them snuff dippin chinese renecks who have more sense than the potheads from Colorado.

They call it "dope" for a reason ya know!
Font Electric blue Tints and shades Darkness Pattern

· Registered
3,043 Posts
Do yall notice a difference with the catch can?
Difference in what? Performance and/or mpg? No. Not meant for those. It’s meant to carch the oily crap that would otherwise be returned to the engine to be burned while at the same time depositing some of the gunk in the intake runners, valves and such.

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What they can do is give you a mayor coronary if you forget to empty them
That catch here is... oil catch cans should only be installed by intelligent people who DO NOT forget to check them and empty them as needed.

Young people especially should not use anything that requires critical thinking

2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
6,602 Posts
Do yall notice a difference with the catch can?
I think I get about .0001 mpg more since I put it on. My measurements may be slightly off.

Seriously, I have noticed no difference but I do see the oily nasty shit in it that would have otherwise been sucked into the engine.

• Helpful
Reactions: Bradley21sanders

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It should actually provide a slight bump in mileage simply because there no oil and oil vapors going in to the combustion chamber which makes the engine a little more efficient.

It also helps performance by protecting your intake manifold from getting gunked up which can degrade acceleration and cause rough idle.

I always get tickled when some claim having a catch can violates emission stands / laws... it does not

· Registered
736 Posts
It's probably about time I took the stainless filter out of my Elite catch can and cleaned it. I put the can on about 3 years and 13,000 miles ago.
I checked mine when we had the engine apart. I though for sure it needed servoce/replacing because I was having trouble draining it from time to time

Turns out a small curl had snuck free and was just resting down in the input to the valve and slowing things down. So I flipped the pile over, fluffed it up a bit, and stuffed it back in.

Should be good to go for another 100k 🙃🙂

· Registered
0 Posts
No, rednecks usually just spit out the window.
View attachment 953837
😂 I've been reading up on those cans and was wondering if maybe there is some validity to them. Seems like all the folks talking about these devices are saying they work best in cold weather, which we don't really get too much of here in Tennessee, and I don't know if it would be beneficial on my 04 Z71.

· Administrator, TOTM, How-To Author
8,693 Posts
I have one on my '13 (only 24,000 miles on it). I have emptied it twice in 5 years. I'm happy to keep whatever gunk it collects out of the intake. The biggest benefit is on direct injected engines wherein there is no fuel spray in the intake passage to help keep the intake valve clean. It certainly would not hurt to put one on your '04, but it really wouldn't help much either.

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Keeping the intake clean of gunk and not having oil vapors and condensation going in to the combustion chamber.... makes it work installing an oil catch can.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.