Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

BFG KO2 or Wrangler Duratrac?

4K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  dguild248 
#1 ·
Hey guys, first post.

So it's finally time to get rid of my stock tires and get something more aggressive, larger, and better for our Canadian winters. I've been looking around for a few weeks and I'm stuck on whether I should get the BFGs or Duratracs. I've read plenty of reviews and supposedly they're both good for snow & ice but I'm looking for personal experiences.

Cheers

#2 ·
Get the tire that is the most cost effective. I have BFG KO2's but I could probably be ok with several other choices. Probably what motivated me is I have been using the BFG AT tires since back in the early 80's. Used them for 10 years in Alaska, year round, and was very pleased. The KO2 version is better than those older versions by far.

#4 ·
Tread depth does not equate to tire life. Tread compounds and such have a marked effect on how long a tire actually will last. This really stands out regarding heavy commercial truck tires, tires that regularly have gross loads on them and still can pull off over 400,000 miles and still have 8-9/32 tread left and no uneven wear. And it starts out with only 4/32 more than the Duratracs you reference. They do start with a little deeper tread, but not that much more significant. It is the tire design and compounds used. A tire with less tread can actually outperform one in longevity compared to one with more tread depth. There is more than meets the eye going on here.

#11 ·
Got the KO2's this year, other than some rock throwing when coming off gravel roads, I have been very pleased. We have had some real winter hit us this year (normally not like this), so have experienced the KO2's on ice and snow. I can not fault the tires for winter driving, we have 2 rigs with them on and I would recommend them.

#13 ·
I just put them on my truck. I like them far more than the stock tires that came off the truck. I went up two sizes from 265's to 285's. I bought the truck a month or so ago and was sliding around on the old tires the new tires stick to the ground very well. I feel much more confident on the KO2's. There is no road noise. I am running 37psi in the tire and the ride is smooth. Smoother than the stock tires but remember I went up two sizes so may account for the smother ride.

#17 ·
just put a set of ridge grapplers on my jeep jk. So far I'm very impressed with them. Took very little weight to balance them. Mechanic said it was the least amount of weight he ever had to put on a tire over 33 inch. There as quiet as the bfg ats I had on my jeep jk. There a more aggressive looking tire to boot. Ive allways been a bfg guy but was just afraid of the ko2s. to many horror storys out there about balancing problems with them.
13rado said:
I'd add the Nitto Ridge Grapplers to the mix depending on tire price by you. I took the plunge and they are rockstars in the snow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
I got my first set of 285/70r17 duratracs on my 1500 about a year and half ago and I like them. Still have lots of tread left and I'm not always the nicest to them... Haven't put them through any serious tests in the mud but in the couple times I've been in some pretty soft fields or trails with them they haven't let me down...Got them for better winter traction compared to something like trailgrapplers or toyo mts. Ive never had Ko2s though to compare but I was never all that impressed with the previous KOs on friends trucks so I decided to go with the duratracs.
Also if your not in a big rush Canadian tire usually puts them significantly on sale every couple months or so. If I remember correct I paid about $1100 out the door(not installed) compared to $1700 fountain tire quoted me for the exact same tires... That's in Manitoba not sure where you are in Canada

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.