Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded to bigger tires on my 2012 Silverado 1500 yesterday - I went from the stock 275/55/20's to 33x12.50/20's on stock rims. I love the the look and handling but I had a few questions regarding adding bigger tires.

1. Does the speedometer need to be calibrated to accommodate the bigger size?
2. Do bigger tires added additional strain/stress to the drive train (engine, transmission, rear end, etc)
3. Do bigger tires add additional stress/strain to the suspension?

·
Registered
177 Posts
1. speedometer won't be accurate after changing tire size, so you can either calibrate it or get a GPS that shows your speed << might be better in case you decide to change tires again so you won't have to calibrate each time.

2.Not sure, but i believe it does cuz they're gonna be heavier than the stock tires.

3. No idea about this one, hopefully other members are going to be of more help.

Some before and after pictures would be nice though :p

·
Registered
2009 Silverado LT 4WD
9,464 Posts
Don't forget on no.1 they will kill your mpg's as well.

Yes to no.2 also, they heavier tires will cause additional wear to drive train and could cause you to run higher transmission temps than normal, causing more wear on tranny.

I would say yes to no.3 also, to certain degree. The additional weight would impact your steering components as well as wear on your wheel bearings and spindles.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Just my .02 worth... I promise there are a lot more educated guys/gals here that can find fault with my interpretation:
1. Up to you if you want to recalibrate the speedometer
According to http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Siz ... 3x12-50R20
you have gone from a 31.9" diamter tire to a 33" tire which means your speedometer will be off by 3.5%
Loosely translated this means if your speedometer is showing 62 your truck is really traveling 64
Most aftermarket tuners will allow you to reprogram so your speedometer is showing closer to reality

2. Yes, larger tires generally mean more weight (rotating mass) but your change is not too radical to cause issues
3. Yes, see # 2

I think the biggest thing you will notice is reduced MPG and slightly longer stopping distance (or the feeling of needing to brake harder). In my book, these are more than offset by the fact that your truck looks way cooler with bigger meats.

Enjoy the new tires...how about a before and after picture?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yes
Yes
Yes

The price you pay to play with bigger tires. I always upgrade the suspension as well not just a "lift" so to speak. It will be up to you to decide if new gears will be required. My gears will likely have to be changed in mine however I am going to see what it does to my mpg's first.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply. Once the weather clears up I'll post some pictures. I definitely like the look of the beefier tires compared to the stock tires. Was surprised how good they looked on the stock rims. Now of course, I want to go higher with the lift...

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Ah, the snowball effect of one mod leads to another is gaining momentum...there is no stopping it now. Count me in for a pic of your truck (good or bad weather) makes no difference. Glad you are diggin the new meats.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's funny because I used to be into the S-10's and "slamming" them. Now its country music, lifted trucks, and big tires lol...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nope no modifications at all. I was extremely pleased at that fact, haha. Can't wait for snow now lol!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.