Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the shocks today. Took the shock assy out, pretty easy and I'm just waiting for the shop to rebuild the assy with the 5100's. Also changed the rear shocks too, piece of cake. I just a used 13/16" socket (super snug, I didn't have any metric sockets that big) with a air wrench and held the nut with a crescent wrench.
Basically with the front of the truck still with the tires on and not jacked up yet take a long socket extension and an 18mm socket to take off the three nuts that hold the top of the shock assy. Next when both sides are done with that jack up the front and take off the tires, (****THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE JOB****Properly secure the vehicle with jack stands and floor jacks or if you have a lift use it) next using a 15mm wrench and a 15mm socket (I used air tools :twisted: ) take off the sway bar end link and set aside to reuse if you didn't get new ones, I did so the old worn out ones a getting tossed. Next using a 15mm socket undo the bottom shock bolts, now you ready to take out the shock assy. Take the bottom of the shock and push it in toward the engine so it will drop loose from the top, then tip the top toward you and pull out. Easy as that.
Your next step would be to compress the spring and disassemble the shock assy and rebuild it with the new shock......I chose to have my local dealer do it. I'll take pics of the reinstall when I get the assy back. Here's a few pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More pics of the shocks out, the old worn sway bar end link, the new sway bar end links with the part number which is for 07.5 through 13.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More pics. Rear shocks installed.......waiting impatiently for the fronts to get done :-/

Attachments

·
Registered
08 Silverado 1500 CC 4x4 5.3L
1,453 Posts
Also, what stock suspension do you have?

I have the Z60 and want new Bilsteins but not sure if I want 5100's or HDs. I didn't like the 5100's in the rear (to soft for me) and I don't want the front to be too soft if I go with the 5100's.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rdmorgan05 said:
+1 on that Jim. How much is it costing you for the parts? Thanks
All four 5100's were under $330. And the sway bar end links are about $25. Each at the dealer. The dealer is charging me $75. To change the shocks.

Mossyoakglock said:
Also, what stock suspension do you have?

I have the Z60 and want new Bilsteins but not sure if I want 5100's or HDs. I didn't like the 5100's in the rear (to soft for me) and I don't want the front to be too soft if I go with the 5100's.
I have the Z71 suspension.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Looks good man,Any pics of then new front struts assembled? Don't forget to get a alignment

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Like you, I did everything myself, except swap the springs. Let the dealer do that because they had a heavy duty spring compressor.

On another note, I don't believe I ever heard anyone say Bilstein 5100s were too soft. That's a first for me.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WrenZ71 said:
Looks good man,Any pics of then new front struts assembled? Don't forget to get a alignment
Bad news..............................one of my shocks broke while the tech tightening the nut on top of the shock, human error, no one was hurt and They will have a new shock here Monday, I know him and I'm glad it didn't hurt him, it's all good :cool: I'll just be without the truck till then. I'm bummed but there are worse things that could of gone wrong. As far as the alignment, why? The A arms and ball joints were not touched, the tie rods were not touched either. The shock was set in the stock position. The shocks are the exact same length. Am I missing something?, all three techs at the dealer said an alignment was not needed if the stock right was still going to be. IDK are we wrong?, I defiantly want it right :D

Anyhow pics of the done side with the new sway bar end link.
Same here...5100's too soft?

Attachments

·
Registered
795 Posts
Have I got this straight? You were able to get the front shock and coil assemblies out by only removing the front sway bar? The removal procedure that's been explained to me is a LOT more involved than that.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
B Cubed said:
Have I got this straight? You were able to get the front shock and coil assemblies out by only removing the front sway bar? The removal procedure that's been explained to me is a LOT more involved than that.
Just by removing the sway bar end link only, nothing else has to be removed, that's it, super easy.

Yasoof11799 said:
Soon question here: are these shocks good for desert offroading/ dune bashing?? Cuz I'm planing to get the Rancho ones ...
I would think so. I haven't driven it yet to tell how it feels but they are an off road shock.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well my wife got me something to do this weekend instead of me just sitting around being bummed about my truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
795 Posts
That's even easier then. Thanks! I'll be sure to share that with the guy I talked to.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jts09silverado said:
6sixathome I hope your new 870 works better than mine, Just bought one last week, wont eject shells fired or unfired, not happy with Remington, Google 870 problems, then take it back before you fire it!
**off topic**

What brand shells are you using? I've read good and bad but Remington shells although more $$ are best for break in and the bulk pack Winchester are not so good.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.