Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2014 silverado 1500, i have a rough country level kit now. I just ordered the 5100 leveling struts and shocks for the front and rear. I see the max height i can get out of the front struts is only 1.77in. the truck still sits a little low in the front, should i set these leveling struts on 1sr or 2nd notch and then use the bottom spacer that came with the rough country kit to obtain the level height im looking for? im aslo running 20x10 wheels with -24 offset wrapped around 33x12.50 toyo's

·
Registered
2009 Silverado LT 4WD
9,490 Posts
If yours is 4x4, then I wouldn't go past the .57" lift mark on the bilstein's or your cv's and suspension angles will hate you. 2.5" of Max lift either way, is all that should be done with any type of leveling.

·
Registered
8,900 Posts
On the 2014's the max height is 1.85", I'm swapping out my 2" RC levelling kit today for the 5100's but I'm also installing a 1/4" spacer under the 5100's to give me about 2 3/8" lift. Also installing cognito control arms with this set up.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My truck is 4x4. I just want it to sit level and have a better ride, but if I take out the front leveling kit and just put the 5100 in at the highest notch in pretty sure she'll sit lower in the front by a lot. That's why I'm thinking if I don't set the 5100 on the highest level and use either the top plate or bottom spacer that came with the rough country 2.5 leveling kit with the 5100 it would be ok and my angles wouldn't be that off

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Daly said:
On the 2014's the max height is 1.85", I'm swapping out my 2" RC levelling kit today for the 5100's but I'm also installing a 1/4" spacer under the 5100's to give me about 2 3/8" lift. Also installing cognito control arms with this set up.
Ready for some before and after pics on the build thread ;)

And if I were you OP, I would do the upper spacer with the shocks at 1.77", giving you 2.25" of lift

·
Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
4,909 Posts
^^^Ditto^^^

·
Registered
212 Posts
I went through the same thing with my 2010 (mine is 4x2), though i needed new shocks because my front stockers were shot, i asked my local shop, and they recommended the 5100's as the best replacements without the 2" RC blocks, so i went with the 5100's on all 4 corners, with the front perches at 4th notch.

I haven't noticed any different in height, the trucks sits pretty much level, or like whatever the RC level kit had it sitting before, in fact, I get less rubbing now compared to what I had before with the RC level blocks (i have 17x 9 wheels with -10 offset, and 285/70/17 tires), rubbing was minor with the RC blocks after some pounding to the back of the rear liner with a hammer, and only in reverse, I can't tell the difference in height, but i can tell the difference in ride, day and night better , and those Cognito UCA's will improve the ride even more, in my case, i'll wait until i need to replace the factory UCA's to go with the Cognito ones.

If you're fine with your wheels not rubbing now with the 2" RC kits, you would be fine with the 5100's, and you can always have a more caster with the Cognito UCA's anyways, so you could in theory have a little more room adjusting caster at 4* or whatever the max caster is with the Cognito arms, my caster is set 2.5* with the 5100's on the last notch, and like i said, i barely rub the wheels in reverse now at full lock.

Have fun.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have 20x10 -24 offset, with the 33x12.5 toyos and I only rub at full lock reverse. so I guess im going to flip a coin on using the 5100 at max height or the 1.77 and the top strut spacer that came with the rough country 2.5 level kit.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Here is how my truck looks like with the 5100's at top notch in the front, stock block in the back with the bilstein 5100's rear for zero lift, had I put a 1/4" spacer in the front, i'll had ended up with a bro lean, which i'm not really fond off, again, this is on a 4x2 truck, I don't know if the 4x4's will sit lower or not, but on previous experiences with front IFS and 4x4, you don't want to put spacers in the 5100's if you're using them at the highest notch, a top spacer on top of the highest notch will not only cut the up travel in the shock, but it'll also over extend your CV angles at max droop, definitely not a good idea to lift with the 5100's at their higher notch and a spacer on top of that.
Couple more pics in my thread here: Out with the RC 2" level block, in with the 5100's

CAM02780 by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr

CAM02779 by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
With 5100's at top setting. Got approx 2" difference vs stock height.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Daly said:

5100's with a 1/4" spacer on a 2014 silverado…
I want my truck back. :lol:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well the place i ordered my 5100 series front struts and rear shocks says their on back order and projected ship date is end of may...guess ill be rocking the rough country 2.5 kit longer than expected.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I installed the 5100's at their top setting in my 2013 a couple months ago. I got exactly 2" of lift when done, and it hasn't settled down at all in the time since. I was hoping for the 1.77" claimed since I wanted a bit of rake left for trailering and hauling. I still have exactly one inch of rake, and maybe it doesn't seem like I'd notice the extra 1/4" I got up front, but I do. I'm thinking of adding in the RC 2.25" block in back in place of the stock 1.25" block to get back a bit more rake (and a touch more ride height).

The 5100's ride excellent BTW.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i still haven't received my 5100s still on back order...but i did order fabtech uniball uca. anyone want to chime in using uniball on a leveling kit also would like to know if theyll work on the stock wheels since i go back to stock during winter months...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sorry to hear about the delay getting your 5100 order, where did you get them from? I ordered mine through Amazon, and got them same week. Also you should not have issues with the aftermarket ucas and the leveling kit and stock wheels. Do the 5100's and ucas install at the same time, then do an alignment and enjoy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts