Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or did anyone else find setting up and recording data and then transfering data confusing. Im actually at my wits end at this point. Im not the most computer tech savy guy but I can handle the basic. I set up the file folder and downloaded efi live per Black Bears instruction. I then went out and I guess I successfully recorded a 30 minute data drive (it timed me at 32 mins actually). This is where it went downhill fast. After the drive I then attempted to record the stock tune, per instructions, (key in run, engine off, select the read file, etc). Then i got an autocal data full message I guess because my 30 min drive data logging used up too much room. Then the thing lights up in caps TURN OFF IGNITION!!! and my traction control off light lights up. I quickly turn off and disconnect. Truck starts and runs norm so I dont think it did anything bad. I go inside an attempt to transfer my 30 min data log to clear room in the autocal and nothing in efi live program matches up to Black Bears instructions. After twenty five minutes I gave up and am now starting to think I made a bad decsion to buy this thing. All i read is positive reviews about Black Bear and im sure its a fine product but Im lost. Cant call Black Bear because its monday and it says their tech line is open tuesday-thursday. Can anybody offer some advice here or hopefully someone from Black Bear reads this and chimes in. Truck is a 2016 Silverado LTZ 6.2. Sorry for the rant...

Dave

· Super Moderator, Servicemen, SS Guru
10,659 Posts
I'll echo the above.

As for this...

Classic25 said:
All i read is positive reviews about Black Bear...
I've read more bad than good about them....pain in the ass to work with, hard as hell to get a human to help you, and if something goes wrong, you can't just undue it yourself easily.

My recco, return it, buy an Intune, used is just as good as new, and you can find them here in the classifieds usually for about $250, and then get a LewTune.

· Registered
215 Posts
Man the hate for Blackbear on this site is funny. This is a user problem, not Blackbear. There service might not be the fastest but the product is well worth it. All the handheld tuners are pretty idiot proof. Load, record, yes, no, enter, etc... there are only so many options.

I got his tune through autocal then purchased headers through them and re-tuned, with no issues. I can try to help you out when i get home tonight and have access to all my files and folders. Its pretty straight forward.

· Registered
383 Posts
600doo said:
Man the hate for Blackbear on this site is funny. This is a user problem, not Blackbear.
+1

I bought my EFILive (or whatever it is) from Justin back in 2014. He walked me through the process, was always responsive on the emails. I'd say we had at least 6-7 emails back and forth over a week. Happy as a clam with my tune. No issues since.

I emailed Justin about doing a tune for my Denali last year, and again he was responsive. I just don't trust myself to have a tune in it - the truck is just too fast as it is.

· Super Moderator, Servicemen, SS Guru
10,659 Posts
No one said there was hate for Blackbear...lol Just two people who recco'd an alternative. I have yet to read about someone not able to get a Diablo Tune put on, and very rare to hear about issues with them, and just the opposite for BB tunes....

· Supr Moderator AutoTech SS-Guru Mbr Extraordinaire
2015 High Country Duramax
20,661 Posts
Yeah I don't see hate on black bear. But I gave up on them after it took literally a month to get a half baked response out of them after several emails.

Lew on the other hand replies sometimes withing minutes.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

· Registered
215 Posts
ricka182 said:
No one said there was hate for Blackbear...lol Just two people who recco'd an alternative. I have yet to read about someone not able to get a Diablo Tune put on, and very rare to hear about issues with them, and just the opposite for BB tunes....
Maybe not directly but its pretty clear Diablo is pushed hard here. Blackbear uses EFILive, a pretty well respected software. I'd put a lot of money on the issues you claim to hear about are 99% user error, the same for anybody having issues loading/recording data on any handheld. The process may be more involved than the Diablo but i assure you its not any harder.

Its pretty well known Blackbear doesnt have the quickest service, if you choose that route you should know what your getting into.

Also I'm genuinely curious if anybody has compared Lew and Justin's tunes back to back on a dyno? Is there really even a difference?

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update.....I sent an email to Black Bear and Jarrad responded within minutes. Turns out I was trying to load autocal data into EFI scan and tune not EFI explorer as I should have. He was able to figure that out right away. I havent gotten back to my computer yet but he is correct,I was in the wrong program. As for customer service, a response to an email in minutes is pretty good in my book. I went with Black Bear beacuse of the great reviews on other forums but this forum as well. Im sure there are negative and positive opinions for every tuner out there.

Dave

· Registered
215 Posts
Classic25 said:
Update.....I sent an email to Black Bear and Jarrad responded within minutes. Turns out I was trying to load autocal data into EFI scan and tune not EFI explorer as I should have. He was able to figure that out right away. I havent gotten back to my computer yet but he is correct,I was in the wrong program. As for customer service, a response to an email in minutes is pretty good in my book. I went with Black Bear beacuse of the great reviews on other forums but this forum as well. Im sure there are negative and positive opinions for every tuner out there.

Dave
glad you got i figured out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.