Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a durable set of black step bars. I'm fairly confident that many of the eBay and cheapies on Amazon don't have a good coating process, or thin and thus susceptible to rock chips, and rust out fairly quickly, within a year or two. What does everyone recommend? I don't think I want nerf bars as much as I would like the steps on angled bars.

Like these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010JIIRV6?re ... -O3-KNYDII

They say their have good coating process and the reviews look good. Any other brands out there to consider? How about Rough Country's steps?

http://www.roughcountry.com/rc-gm-cab-l ... 780cc.html

· Registered
975 Posts
not sure on brand but look and ensure they are powder coated paint and compare mil thickness if they list it.

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
17,133 Posts
Maybe consider putting a brush on bed liner on them as well. That stuff ain't gonna chip off.
Herculiner or Rustoleum bed liner. Or you could have them sprayed with linex or rhino liner.

17,133 Posts
Are you saying it will cause them to rot from the inside out or just hide the fact that they did. I would think a step bar that bends and eventually brakes would tell me they are rotting.

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
No. it will hide the rot. Just like when you bedliner your rockers. It keeps the form while hiding the lack of metal. Then one day you step on it and down you go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That makes sense. The thick Rustoleum product for deck boards does the same thing, traps moisture in and accelerates rot. You don't know until like you said, you put your foot through it. Replaced many decks for homeowners who spent $1k or more using that crap on their deck.

I'd rather buy a quality product than mess around making an inferior product maybe work. $150 for cheap eBay bars and another $50 and a couple hours to coat them? I'll pass.

I guess I'll just have to do some reading.

17,133 Posts
ferraiolo1 said:
No. it will hide the rot. Just like when you bedliner your rockers. It keeps the form while hiding the lack of metal. Then one day you step on it and down you go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK, I am still confused. Powder coating or painting doesn't hide the rot?

· How-To Author
2015 Silverado LTZ 6.2 4x4
4,853 Posts
My GM steps are powder coated. Can probably find some take offs, as another member mentioned.

· Registered
230 Posts
I've had two sets of powder coated nerf bars from Luverne. Was pleased with both of them. No longer own the trucks. Had a set on my 97' Silverado ext cab. Sold it to my father-in-law. He still owns the truck, and the bars still look good, have been on there since the truck was new. So I'd say 19 years out of a set is pretty good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.