Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't decide which XR-1 to buy, and even if the XR-1 is what I am looking for.

I am looking for a deep but loud muffler with a lot of bark when I need it to, and I heard borla is the best for minimal drone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Borla does have drone.... pretty much every aftermarket exhaust will have some drone except Corsa. I think the Borla part # is 40085 or the XR-1. I had this on my Fbody and gave it to my buddy to put on his '07 Silverado w/5.3. Sounds better than his Flowmaster 40.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
firefighter813x said:
The Borla does have drone.... pretty much every aftermarket exhaust will have some drone except Corsa. I think the Borla part # is 40085 or the XR-1. I had this on my Fbody and gave it to my buddy to put on his '07 Silverado w/5.3. Sounds better than his Flowmaster 40.
I can't speak to the muffler alone, but the full Borla systems do not drone. With the exception of these two companies, I have never personally experienced a system that does not to at least some degree.

OP - a lot of people looking for just mufflers will go with the Borla GM Performance can (not sure of the P#, others can chime in). From what I recall this will give you the bark you're looking for with Borla quality (not quite the full system quality) stainless.

·
Registered
100 Posts
19131347 is the Sport muffler; 19131346 is the Touring. Touring volume is on par with stock, just deeper tone. Go with Sport. Search the part number in YouTube and there's a couple but it's hard to appreciate exhaust comparisons on video, too many variables that distort the real in person sound.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
helios said:
19131347 is the Sport muffler; 19131346 is the Touring. Touring volume is on par with stock, just deeper tone. Go with Sport. Search the part number in YouTube and there's a couple but it's hard to appreciate exhaust comparisons on video, too many variables that distort the real in person sound.
Looking into sport now, anyone else thoughts on the sport? Will this give me the bark I want?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Their 'sport' gives a hell of a good sound. I have the full system and absolutely love it. It really sounds like a good, tuned, American V8. By no means is this a window shatterer, or a loud obnoxious tone, just pure and enjoyable.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@rodcheapo what would you think of a dynomax bullet, by the sounds of it the sport isn't going to bark quite like I want. Also the dynomax bullet seems to be not to loud, than at WOT its really loud. I was even almost debating glasspack, depending on size I might be able to get it to have minimal popping, that or even straight pipe, not to worried about noise in the cab as I usually am listening to loud music with subs under rear seats.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Even though AutoAnything sponsors this forum section, I found them to be the best priced after a week of research and where I procured mine. Their new S-Type full catback rear exit (S-Type ONLY comes in their rear exit dual split) is PN140429, intel located here http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts-mu ... 3A0A0.aspx. I originally wanted the rear wheel dual split borla, but it only came in the calmer Touring, after seeing the size of the rear dual split tips and the sound, I'm more than happy with my choice.

There is ZERO drone in this system, installed mine yesterday and one of the reasons I chose borla over other systems. In fact there are a small handful of catbacks for these trucks which do not have a drone issue. Searched all over the net for various styles and feedback, including YouTube which was helpful.

Look forward to seeing what you end up with.

edit: forgot to mention there is a youtube video of a guy with an 07 sierra or silvy with XR-1, all custom in order to make it work, there is no catback per say with xr-1, but anyone with a tig and skill could build one fine system themselves with a standard catback and xr1. Anyway, the truck sounded pretty darn sick (good sickness) and if I find it, will share the link.

Here are several trucks running xr1, guess it grew in popularity over the last couple years
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... 11.youtube.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would you be willing to get a nice sound clip? Lots of videos on YouTube are shitty quality. Also is there any noticeable difference at idle and cruising speed?

Kinda stuck between this and just a straight pipe, no resonator, with cats. Heard a sound clip of this and it sounded sweet. Probably if I do that I'll y pipe at the muffler delete.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BravoGolfTango, was asking you I still am open to options. Yet this video still has my mind basically set on the Straight pipe, No Resonator, With Cats.

Saw your review, and the Borla sound clips. Sounds good, but still leaning towards a straight pipe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.