Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Extended Cab 5.3L All factory not upgrades

This problem has occurred twice in the past few years.
First time while towing a 22' bumper pull with electric brakes in Southern Illinois I was coming into town at Cave in Rock and lost all brake pedal. I got no dash light alert: only the dash information system alert where the odometer readout is. It said "Check Brake System"
Neither time did I have a loss of fluid or leaks in the brake system.
This time I was on the back roads of Ouchita mountains in Arkansas pulling the same camper and lost pedal. Pedal went all the way to floor and gave Dash Red Brake alarm but no dash information alerts. The red alarm was given several times while trying to stop or slow down.
We arrived at the campsite and as soon as I disconnected the camper 7 pin connector, Brakes were immediately restored to the truck.
Took the truck to the Chevy dealer in Hot Springs and they could not duplicate the issue nor did their mechanic find any codes.
I filed a complaint with GM customer service but they didn't have any information for me.
Both occurrences happened while driving less than 20 mph. Both times I could pump the petal and slow vehicles to stop.
The override on the brake controller was ineffective as well during this event. But works as it should when I have brake petal.
I changed the breakaway switch on the camper and drove home to Tenn. without brake loss but, I am not sure this was the problem. It was an inexpensive ($18) suggestion by the camper garage mechanic.
Since this time we have driven this truck to Alaska and back to Tennessee with a slide-in camper and no issues. I have even replaced all rotors and pads since then and never saw a hint of why.
I'm at a loss for answers or even ideas.

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
2,603 Posts
First, the trailer and trailer brake controller have nothing to do with your pedal. If the TBC manual override doesn't do anything, but the brake pedal activates the trailer brakes, then there's probably something wrong with the override in the TBC. And IDK why the mechanic would suggest replacing the breakaway switch, other to just get some more money from you, as if it fails, either the trailer brakes don't apply if it breaks away from your vehicle (which didn't happen), or the brakes are always applied.

Second, I would flush the brake fluid, and if it has a hydroboost system, also flush the power steering fluid.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Between the first and second time, I had the rack and pinion go out so I replace it myself. That system was totally flushed but that doesn't have anything to do with the brakes. It doesn't have a hydroboost system. And the fluid was flushed when I replaced the rotors and pads. Which I don't believe has any roll in why the loss. I do appreciate the input. I throw ideas out to my brother and an old high school friend who is a ASE mechanic. Brainstorming is always a good thing when rare issues come up. Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had a problem with my 2001 Silverado 4x4. Occasionally, at very low speeds, the ABS would think that the wheel had stopped rotating, and release the brake pressure. This started to occur when the truck was about 2 years old, so maybe your truck has the same issue.
The fix was to remove the ABS sensors, file the mounting surface of any corrosion, paint the surface with an anti corrosion liquid and re-assemble. I do not remember if there was a recall, or if there was just a service bulletin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts