Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 and after sitting overnight and backing out of my garage the brakes squeal when I step on the brakes. Does it all the time. If I pull forward brakes do not squeal. Had it in to the dealer and they said they called the GM Tech Line and was told that is normal. Apparently, with the new material that the rotor and pads are made of they will squeal until the brake pads warm up and burns off the moisture that is on the pads and rotors. According to the owners manual it states that under certain condition the brakes will squeal when applied lightly. Has anyone else noticed this?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,089 Posts
That is 100% certified BS... I would try another dealer and possibly contact GM directly, and let them know what the first dealer told you. Then once you get it fixed, you should walk back into that other dealer and loudly announce to them what you did and how you got it fixed, and why they'll never see you again for service.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Sierra 2500HD AT4
3,479 Posts
My 2019 did this. I never brought it up to my dealer, however, I've been told there is a TSB. The problem is because of the material the pads are made of and the solution was to replace the brake pads.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
When any disc brakes sit overnight or longer, they can/will get a very light glaze of corrosion just from ambient moisture.
When you get a little groan or squeal after sitting, that is the corrosion getting scoured-off.

·
Registered
409 Posts
"solution was to replace the brake pads" curious, any idea what material they were?
I had sintered pads on my bike but didnt like the grind feel when they got warm,
now with ceramic I get the squeak and squeal for the first few miles just as the op does with his truck.
ceramic pads on all 4 on the Trailblazer and no noise warm or cold.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Sierra 2500HD AT4
3,479 Posts
The individual did not specify what the material was or the material of the replacement pads.

·
Super Moderator
10,089 Posts
I have seen my own brakes when wet can make some noise, but not bad and they dry up and get quiet pretty quick....

·
Administrator
5,912 Posts
I get this on our GM SUV (Duralast rotors and pads) and once in a while on my truck (all OEM). Only lasts a moment and only happens the morning after we've driven in wet or snowy conditions. I just turn-up the radio.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
My wife's Suburban does that, too. Seems to come from the rear. Previous owner had dealer put new brakes on about a year ago, so we'll live with it until it's time to change them. Not worth it to me to spend the money to change them now due to the 1-2 second squeak they make when pulling out of the driveway.

I can see how that could annoy someone, especially on a brand new 40-60K truck, so hopefully you find a solution, Ronald.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hate to drag out this thread but....
I have a 2021 sierra LT , 5.3 I have a heavy groaning noise coming from the rear axel during moderate and hard braking. this truck only has 5,000 Kilometres ( yes Canadian ) I can feel this groan through the frame! ( the noise has been there almost since the day i bought it
Today I took it in for service , I had to take the service manager out for a test drive , so he and i could both agree on the noise. He heard the exact noise that I had described ( we discussed this at the time of the test drive ) , and I was able to repeat the noise over and over so that he would be sure to hear it....
They had my truck in the shop almost all day , they said they had communicated with "GM Tech people" but had no answer and did not repair anything ( they said they want to wait for GM Tech to decide what to do )
They gave me my truck back and said to use it ..... but did not give me any receipt or documentation for my records that i had reported this issue ( I even asked for it , but did not get it ? )

I'm going back to get something in writing that the truck is safe for use...

Any ideas??

·
Administrator
5,912 Posts
Didn't you get a copy of the repair order when you dropped the truck off?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts