Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2001 1500 Extended cab. Friday morning, just as I was to start a trip from central PA to Indy for the Big Ten Championship game, a brake line ruptured. I pulled out of the driveway, and as I was stopping, there was a kind of muffled pop and the pedal went to the floor. I know what it is because I had the same thing happen 2 or 3 years ago. I had the ruptured line repaired then, but did nothing with the rest. Now I'm going to have all the lines replaced. My question is in regards to the warning light. The previous time this happened, the warning light didn't come on, and it's not on now either. It lights during the bulb check when I first start the vehicle up and it lights if I have the parking brake applied, but isn't it pretty important that it comes on when you have a ruptured brake line of all things?

In case anyone was wondering, I just used the 2015 Malibu to complete my trip, however I wasn't happy with adding 1,100 miles to a vehicle that only had 5,100 on it :lol:

· Registered
1,863 Posts
The warning light will only come on with the park brake, low fluid level, and in some cases with the ABS light when there is a fault.

There is no switch and there is no proportioning valve on that truck, no need for it when it has ABS.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies. Before you answered GMT604, my next question was going to be "Do I even have a proportioning valve on this?" I thought the EBCM controlled all of that. I understand it comes on with the parking brake and low fluid, but thought it pretty important to illuminate with a ruptured line too. Wouldn't I have low brake fluid since it's all in a puddle by the passenger side front wheel?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.