Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I just took delivery of a beatiful crew cab 2014 LTZ Z71 4x4.. I noticed when I start it for the first time (cold) it makes a very quick 1 second grinding noise from under the truck.. Sounds like the starter not engaging quite quickly enough.. Once started it doesn't do it until cold again.. Keep in mind I've only started it cold twice, it has 17 miles on it.. I am wondering if this will go away once it's broken in, or if it's normal. I looked it up on Yahoo and there is quite a bit of people claiming to hear the same noise, saying it's normal when cold, but they seem to have older vehicles, and it seems to happen at a much colder temp then I am at.. Maybe it's just me being paranoid, but I have the worst luck with vehicles, so I try to play it safe on everything..

Any info would be greatly appreciated so maybe I can enjoy my purchase whole heartidly :)

PS: The truck is amazing! I love it so far!

·
Registered
681 Posts
If you have a smart phone, set your phone under the truck and video record when you start it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Brand new, 2014? I'd bring it to the dealer and let them figure it out.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I'd take it to the dealer, then try starting a few others just like yours to see if you hear the same noise.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
cmpcpro,

Oh no! I am sorry to learn that you have a concern about your vehicle regarding hearing a noise when starting cold. I would be more than happy to look into this concern for you. Please private message me referencing this thread including your full name, address, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
2014 Silverado double cab 4WD, LTZ Z71
81 Posts
17 miles ? Well my 2014 LTZ Z71 4x4 double cab has been started probably 15-20 times and it is so quiet that I have to get right on top of it to verify that it started & ran. It's up to 225 miles now and extremely pleased wit hit so far. Hopefully yours is an isolated case. Good luck :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is yours a 5.3 too? It's getting alot quieter as the miles get on it.. But it's not really a grinding noise.. I think it's just something engaging.. can only hear it if I remote start.. if I am in truck with door closed I can't.. Just sounds like something turning on now.. it seems to be getting quieter and quicker.. This is the 4th GM product I have had brand new.. all of them seem to have no power and the trans shifts horrible/slips quickly while shifting, etc.. when they have 5-10 miles on them, and by a couple hundred they are fine, by 3,000 they have way more power.. This has been my experience everytime..

·
Registered
237 Posts
OK, well now that you say its not a grinding, I have to admit. I hear something on mine too. Right after I start it in the garage, usually cold. Its just a split second. Like a 'whirr'

Although, I am not to concerned with it. Ive got about 1200 miles on the truck now.

·
Registered
2014 Silverado double cab 4WD, LTZ Z71
81 Posts
cmpcpro said:
Is yours a 5.3 too?
YES ! The LTZ trim only comes with the standard 5.3 or the optional 6.2. No V6 is available even if you wanted one. Also most of my starts have been while inside the truck so it's possible that there could be a minor "abnormal" sound while cranking but haven't noticed anything just yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fondupot said:
OK, well now that you say its not a grinding, I have to admit. I hear something on mine too. Right after I start it in the garage, usually cold. Its just a split second. Like a 'whirr'

Although, I am not to concerned with it. Ive got about 1200 miles on the truck now.
Yup! That's it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tpollauf said:
cmpcpro said:
Is yours a 5.3 too?
YES ! The LTZ trim only comes with the standard 5.3 or the optional 6.2. No V6 is available even if you wanted one. Also most of my starts have been while inside the truck so it's possible that there could be a minor "abnormal" sound while cranking but haven't noticed anything just yet.
Sorry, didn't realize you put LTZ too.. I know before I found my LTZ Z71 I found another Z71 on the lot, that looked good, only to find it had a 6cyl.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just started it cold again this morning.. It could be a whirr noise, it only lasts like one second, but it def. sounds like a metal gear engaging.. almost like when you are sitting in a car with a stick and shift it in gear while it's off.. That quick metal sound.. I wonder if it's something like the transfer case engaging or something stupid.. Something that is tested only on the first start or something.. If not I am hoping it just goes away as it breaks in.. I am always amazed how much better every new GM vehicle I have bought runs after it's broken in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
GM Customer Service said:
If time goes on and this concern is still relevant I would be happy to do further research. Please keep me updated.

Jessica L.
GM Customer Care
Sure. It's a 2014 Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ 5.3 4X4.. If you can find out if that noise is normal, that would be a great help. I know whenever I buy a new GM vehicle they have no power and shift horribly (Slipping or searching when shifting periodically, sluggish shifts) for the first few hundred miles or so and then they are like a completely new vehicle.. The biggest difference is in the first few miles, for example, when I test drove the truck with 8 miles on it, it was an absolute dog, by 17 miles it felt alot better, etc.. So I am hoping this is just one of those things, or just normal for the vehicle.. It certainly doesn't sound HORRIBLE, but then again, I am very picky with noises, I notice EVERYTHING. Like I said, you can hear this if you start it while outside or have the door open.. It was much louder at 10 miles, so I am thinking it's just something due to the break-in.. I know when I started it the first time on the lot at 8 miles I heard so much ticking and valve train noise I thought it was surely a lemon, but sure enough we started a couple other ones and they were the same if not worse.. So I am trying not to be picky here with noises..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
fondupot said:
Yea, I am going to lay under my truck tomorrow morning and remote start it. haha then Ill be able to really hear what it is.
Nice lol would be curious to know what it is. Mine sounds like its something metal engaging. Maybe a test on the tfer case?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.