Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am asking for a guy i work with. He just traded his 2013 sierra 1500 for a 2013 sierra 2500 with the 6.0. The truck now has 700 miles on it and he is worried cause he is only getting 10-12 mpg. While others say they are getting 15-16 but also have higher mileage. At what point does the mileage improve. He is 62 years old and drives like it also.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
So much of it depends on driving style and terrain. If you go grandma and drive like there's an egg under to gas pedal, your mileage will be better (no matter what engine/vehcile we're talking about here). If you blast off from every stop sign and have to go up/down lots of hills, your mileage is going to suffer.

But it's splitting hairs- the 6.0L gas mileage sucks and that's just the way it is. 'Nuff said. Trade it in if said person can't deal.

Solution: DRIVE LESS. I work from home once a week and got a 20% mileage increase! Wow! Amazing!

For all the focus on MPG, people still drive in frickin' circles (not directed at anyone in this thread). It strikes me as odd that no one makes the realization that if you just drive a LITTLE less or at least be strategic in your trips- just cutting even 10% of you usual miles, you are having the same net effect as getting better MPG.

Yeah, so people around here buy a Prius- then drive 30k miles a year!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Also matters what gears are in it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
When it comes to that heavy frame and thirsty 6.0, I really doubt the rear end gearing makes a whole lot of a difference, maybe for towing but I bet the mpg differences between 3.73s and 4.10s are minimal…

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
My '11 2500 6.0 gets around 12 city and that's with 38k miles on it.

EDIT: Not being an ass, and this question comes up quite a bit, but gas mileage should have been the last thing on anyones mind that buys a truck. Much less a 3/4 ton, any brand.
I'm on a Camaro forum for the new Camaros and people on their all the time gripe about gas mileage... Really, it's a 6.2.. what do you expect.
I know technology has come light years but trucks aren't built for gas mileage.. just my .02

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.