Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to identify this connecting bar that goes from the transmission housing near the starter down to the transfer case. It looks like the bolt has broken off in the transmission and the bottom of the bar by the transfer case has a visible fracture. What is this part called so I can research it? Does anyone know what its purpose is?

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Is there an identical bar on the other side? Sounds like a transmission brace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bar is only on one side (Pass). The first picture shows the two bolts that hold the end of the bar to the transfer case. The bar is cracked just below the bolt on the right.
The second photo is of the back of the transmission and I think I have answered my own question with this photo. It looks like a broken off bolt in the hole.
It appears that the bar just holds the transfer case to the transmission. Can"t fit a drill up there to drill out that broken bolt. I could attach something to a nearby bolt and weld it to the bar.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,346 Posts
Yes, that's a support bar. As you state, it looks like a bellhousing bolt is broken off in the block. The good news is, since the transmission is aluminum, a good welder can weld to the end of the broken bolt and get it out so you can replace it. Doing it that way will make it so all you will have to remove is the support bar yourself and not the complete transmission.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We had a welder take a look at it and he said that it was too deep. If it had been flush with the aluminum housing, welding a nut would have been possible. This vehicle is not going to be used for snow plowing this year so I guess we will keep our fingers crossed. We are going to wait until we are ready to pull the motor and transmission.
Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
13,346 Posts
You may check with the local shops around your area. They may know of a welder that can do it. I've seen it done like this before. We had a welder that would come to all the shops in town and do stuff like this. He was really good. I think he used a TIG welder.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Yes, get in there and clean the rust off real good, then whoever is welding can do it with a smaller DIA bolt and TIG weld all the way around it, then carefully back it out. Might even be able to do it using a MIG welder, that's what I would try before drilling and tapping or drilling and then using an easy out since I do not have a TIG set up....It CAN be done ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.