Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had cylinder 7 Lifter go bad on my 2016, my mechanic pal at Fearless MS here in HAWAII noticed the lifter was stuck in the block when he disassembled the top end. I decided to go with a new block in case the cam was shot as well and possibly more bottom side damage. He did an engine swap from a 2017 wreck with new lifters timing chain, and machined the heads. On fire up it ran great. I was still getting some heavy bubbling out of the bottom coolant hose from the expansion bottle to the water pump at idle, so we replaced water pump and tensioner. Its been a week out and I've ran about 1500 miles the temp at 210 no overage and oil pressure soild. It will still bubble at Idle only after a long run. It's aggressive Bubbling into the expansion bottle that makes a clacking sound audible in the cab, but not every time. Anyone get some idea if it's still burping out or do I have a problem.... hahaha

ps any major differences in the 2016/2017 engines so when I buy parts?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009, 2500HD, 6.0 L, 4x4, Ext Cab, Alumn FlatBed
452 Posts
It could be nothing or it could be something.

You can use a tailpipe sniffer in the expansion tank and radiator. You do NOT want it to detect exhaust emissions there...as you would be looking at a crack, head/block, or a bad head gasket.

Does it seem to pressure up the cooling system fast?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I replaced therm and Engine temp sensor yesterday and just picked up the sniffer. Seems to be OK, fan seems more active, and did not bubble while driving in town. when I got home it did for two minutes then stopped. as the fans kicked in

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just ran up a good grade for a few mes and parked at home now, no bubbles idle good and fans engaged at a good rate. Could have been temp sensor not reading true and fans not cooling properly? I'll keep this post updated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts