Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 352 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome to the bulldogg build, and yes. That's bulldogg with 2 g's. So to start off on the general platform of the build, I have a 2008 Silverado 1500 WT Extended cab, 4.8L V8 with a "heavy duty" 4l60E, 4WD with a manual transfer case and she's at a little over 115K. So now that everyone knows what I'm workin with here, here's some back story so everyone knows the reasoning behind all of this, my father bought the truck in 2011 with about 30k on it for about $21k, somewhere along the road I became old enough and he truck was paid off, I ran into issues with my ford ranger and wound up inheriting the Silverado, further down the road the cats were clogged so old meineke decided to shaft us for a grand and welded the entire exhaust assembly together at the flange and gave us some popped manifold bolts which in term caused a pretty nasty leak and at the same time decided they didn't wanna pay to fix it so that's one of the main problems, whereas recently the trans decided it was gonna lose 4th gear and part of 2nd so that's really the main issue, other than that, the rest is minor things like the dreaded fender rust eating away the bedsides, dings and dents all over the body and bumper, and at one point the Diff decided to lock up the g80 locker inside and was stuck so I was driving a drag car in a sense but that was an easy fix with a good cleaning and fluid change since it had never been done, and the other issues are just a check engine light and service airbag light, 02 sensors are probably reading the wrong mixture because of the leak and just yesterday after inspecting them, noticed one of the wires was corroded and broken which would explain one of the p0036 and p0171 code, the airbag sensors behind the bumper went out a while ago and I finally have the time and resources to get them for a pretty decent price. But that's all the problems at hand as of right now. To sum all of this up, this build thread is gonna be a consistently updated thread with minor to major upgrades and how to do them along with solutions to problems I run into or have ran into, feedback is always welcomed and appreciated good or bad, so next up to be discussed is the current upgrades my truck has and what I plan on doing next, stick around!

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright guys here's the first official build post! With this one we're gonna go over the plans I have in store for the old girl, I appreciate you guys sticking around to watch and hope you enjoy the ride! So as of right now I already have a few things done, the first being a K&N Cold air intake kit, was quite easy to install other than drilling a hole in the tray to mount the base, but other than that it was pretty much a plug and play type of deal, just BE WARNED, if you move your throttle plate at all you will get a High idle code and your truck will shoot up to 3k RPM, simple fix just have it cleared with the proper scan tool or go through the Throttle position relearn procedure. Now besides that make sure you inspect and clean all plugs hoses and sensors before putting it all together because nothing sucks more than having to take stuff back apart once it's together.... however I do suggest you properly clean your Throttle plate if you do plan on doing an aftermarket intake, just so everything is nice and clean and good to go. Now for the next upgrade, we'll technically a rare problem is the ground battery cable, what happens is the truck completely dies out at the most random times, a giveaway is your clock constantly resetting, what happens is somewhere in the cable there's a break or at any of the crimped connectors the inside starts to lose its connection and starts to short out resulting in the truck dying out constantly. I wound up just ordering a new battery cable and taping/looming any exposed parts of it to prevent any future issues for at least a good amount of time, very easy to do, battery connection is a given, the other connection is at the block and the last connection is on the frame right below, at first I replaced the alternator thinking it wasn't charging the battery enough but after wiggling the negative battery cable around it was a dead giveaway, the next and smallest upgrade was the key fob, boostautoparts.com sells the newer style key fobs that really do work and look sharp, the only downside is the Chevy logo isn't on the back but they still look great! The remote learn is pretty simple since it's done through the DIC. The next upgrade is pretty neat in my opinion but kinda hard to do if you don't have the resources to find the right parts, on my truck I did not have the DIC buttons on my dashboard or have the cutout for the buttons, however, the nice thing our good old friends at GM was they used the same wire harness for every 1500, so if you pop the panel to the left of your steering wheel off you'll find a plug in a dummy socket, if you go on the inter webs and buy the panel with the cutout for the DIC switch it's as easy as plugging it in and popping the new panel in, giving you all extra info for your truck and while I'm at this topic I'm future posts I'll go in depth about changing up the instrument cluster from a 4 gauge to a 6 gauge.... lastly I did have some Gibson headers in my hands to throw in but once I popped under the truck I noticed everything welded together so that idea went out the window, now I'm selling them to a buddy of mine since I'm gonna change up what I had in mind for the exhaust system.... speaking of exhaust systems! Stay tuned for the next post, where I'll be going over the actual plans I have in store for this build!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[gallery]Alright gents, now for the fun part, the plans I have in store for this build, not what I wish I could, now what I hope I could get, what I will be getting and installing to make this the meanest lookin and soundin silverado our there, which is one of the reason why it's called the bulldogg build, because just like a bulldog it looks mean and sounds even meaner! let's get into it, the upgrades/mods I'm gonna go through and are gonna be listed from category to category so, for example: engine, exhaust, trans, suspension, wheels, exterior, interior, Etc. . I'm gonna group 3 category's per post just so you guys aren't reading an essay worth of info, so with the highest priority category we're gonna begin with this.

Transmission: As many of us know the 4l60e can be either really good or really bad depending on its uses and driver, so as of right now as I explain previously my trans has a burnt band and more than likely worn clutch discs, so this calls for a full overhaul/master Rebuild kit to upgrade the internals, not only for reliability but for better performance and durability, in my opinion a truck isn't any good if it doesn't have a reliable transmission or a weak transmission, now I know many of you may have different thoughts and opinions on 4l60es and that's fine, I'm all ears to hear them, but my main goal is to truly turn my worn trans into a heavy duty powerhouse, to sum it up it's gonna be the best of both worlds in a sense of Performance and Towing, it's always better to be safe than sorry especially when it comes down to the nitty gritty of deciding which route to go on with a trans build. But some of you guys might just say "why not just save up for a already built trans or do a 4l80e swap?" Well to be honest with you, I would but I won't because i like my gas mileage, and id rather drop my trans in a shop and work on it right then and there rather sending it out to another state to have it worked on... so the main objective is to build a parts list of the best heavy duty/performance parts to rebuild my trans, I've looked into some sources but still have some more researching to do, most likely I'm gonna wind up going with Sonnax parts and whichever company sells a good rebuild kit for the clutch discs and seals and such. I've seen monster transmission get mixed reviews so I think it's best if I keep my distance from them to avoid any headaches, feel free to shoot some suggestions my way !

Now for next high priority category we're gonna get into, which some of you guys might enjoy,

Exhaust: As stated before, meineke decided to give me to shaft and welded everything together basically making my exhaust system unrepairable meaning I can't interchange any parts, it all has to be replaced, I'll include pictures of the damage below, but moving forward I plan on getting Kooks 3/4 long tube headers with the Kooks Catted Y-pipe, now before I even do this I have to get the popped manifold bolts out of my block which may be tricky, I'm sure I can take a nut and weld it too the bolt but I'll have to be really careful when doing it to avoid any other issues, hoping the block didn't warp at all.... as for everything from the cats back I plan on leaving the stock mid-pipe and muffler in place as long as it bolts to the Kooks y-pipe, until I can figure out what muffler kit to go with, I was thinking either dB Performance by Corsa 3 in. Sport Single Exhaust System Side Exit or just throwing a magna-flow on it and call it a day. But most likely going to go with the corsa kit... and as for the o2 sensors, I'm gonna get regular replacement sensors and swap them out once the new headers and cats go in so it's all done at the same time.

For the last category of this post we're gonna save the best for last, which is...

Engine: this category is probably going to be the shortest surprisingly since my motor is running like a top, which I should probably knock on wood for saying but let's get on with it! I already have the Cold Air Intake pretty much covered, so the other plans I have in store are kinda simple, preventative maintenance and keeping the motor in tip-top shape to avoid any dreaded Knick knock tick tock paddy wack give your dog a bone kinda problems such as lifter ticks and rod knocks, as well as head gasket issues which I've been keeping a very close eye on because I noticed I've been losing a small amount of coolant but at the same time that could be from when the radiator blew out a while back and meineke suckered my old man In with that great deal so I figured it's nothing to worry about since I've been checking the oil and coolant levels pretty often to say the least, and one of the biggest no-no's is the throttle body, I cannot stress enough that this is one of the most careful tasks, as stated before the slightest movement of the plate while your cleaning it is gonna result in a sky rocketed high idle and a trouble code, resulting in the truck having to go through a re-learn which could take some time, driving at speeds of up to 40 MPH for long periods of time and sudden stops can do the trick but if that's the case always be careful when doing so, ya don't wanna ruin your baby because of a high idle, and lastly is the routine maintenance, plugs and wires, coils and packs, oil and hoses, making sure all of these are vital to keeping it running in tip tops shape...

With these topics being said, that's all for today, next posts will be a little more technical and in depth depending on the category, but before we end here, check out the pictures of my hack job exhaust system thanks to our good friends at Meineke!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like a good start with plans.

Even with the possibility of coming across like an asshole (which I really am not, I promise...), may I suggest using paragraphs a bit more? Makes reading that much more enjoyable and easy for the readers.

·
Registered
22,408 Posts
forget spending money on kooks, ether get some texas speed headers or flip your manifolds and throw a Chinese spooly boy on it

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
100% on board with the 4L80 swap but the problem for me would then be while I'm at it might as well get a bigger engine.

I guess if you never do more than basic bolt ons then your current 4l60e rebuilt will do for a while. Would probably get a good cooler for it to help prolong the life though.

·
Registered
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
4,371 Posts
I'm glad you take so much interest and dedication into what you are doing, but at the risk of sounding like an a$$hole, I wonder how at 21 years of age, you could author the "ultimate how to and DIY."

But then again, you're from Jersey......LOL!!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tsuintx said:
Welcome! Sounds like a good start with plans.

Even with the possibility of coming across like an asshole (which I really am not, I promise...), may I suggest using paragraphs a bit more? Makes reading that much more enjoyable and easy for the readers.
Thank you and will do! I guess I read too many articles and wound up laying it out like a damn textbook :lol:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ferraiolo1 said:
forget spending money on kooks, ether get some texas speed headers or flip your manifolds and throw a Chinese spooly boy on it
If I could afford a nice fat pair of twin Nagasaki's I would lol

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bradley21sanders said:
100% on board with the 4L80 swap but the problem for me would then be while I'm at it might as well get a bigger engine.

I guess if you never do more than basic bolt ons then your current 4l60e rebuilt will do for a while. Would probably get a good cooler for it to help prolong the life though.
You're not wrong at all, if the day should ever come where the motor makes itself a nice big viewing hole I'll definitely consider it since everything is plug&play in a sense and yea I am definitely going to get a good cooler for it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
roorancher said:
I'm glad you take so much interest and dedication into what you are doing, but at the risk of sounding like an a$$hole, I wonder how at 21 years of age, you could author the "ultimate how to and DIY."

But then again, you're from Jersey......LOL!!!
I really appreciate that thank you, I'll put it to you like this, the way I see it, I'd rather put the DIY's and how to's out there for guys to look at and go "oh ok, that makes more sense" rather than having to search for hours on YouTube or forums that could be much much easier than anticipated... it might not be perfect but your damn right I'll try my best and hardest to explain it as best I can for everyone to be able to understand it and do it on their own, let's just say I'm here to help make other people's lives easier when it comes to down to workin on their own silverados... and yea, it's a jersey thing, I grew up far before a lot of the other kids :lol:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
silentbravo said:
That is ridiculous how they welded the manifolds to the down pipes lol

I guess they also just deleted the cats with the patch of piping?
Oh no they put cats in, not direct replacements either, but universal ones.....

·
Registered
22,408 Posts
Bulldogg220 said:
ferraiolo1 said:
If I could afford a nice fat pair of twin Nagasaki's I would lol
That set up will
Cost about what a set of kooks cost..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright fellas later today I'm gonna be changing up the way I layout the thread so it's a little more enjoyable to read, currently have to go for an interview at a local Chevy dealership (go figure) and then I'll be locked and loaded for you guys! Stay tuned!

·
Registered
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
4,371 Posts
I'm sitting on the edge of my seat in eager anticipation!!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alright gents, today I'm gonna go over the plans for the wheel setup I plan on throwing in the old girl with some suspension coverage but that'll be much much more in depth for the next post since I'll be going over what lift kit options I'm going with, but moving forward, I plan on going with 33's or 35's depending on the rims I can get my hands on since it's a little tricky finding the right size rim that I have in mind, numbers I have in mind are 33/35x12.5x17/18 ,but to make things clear I am not building a show truck nor am I building a Baja truck/mud truck, I won't be investing in 20-22 inch rims with nice polish chrome or bead lock rims, nice shiny rims with rubber bands on them won't even last a mile in the part of Jersey I live in, but as funny as it sounds I wouldn't be opposed to bead locks, it's just I won't be doing any off-roading or shows or anything of that sort, the ideal size rim I wanna go with is 17 or if I have to I'll go up to 18 all depending on which Lift kits require you to have an 18 & up rim size, but my personal preference is less rim more meat, meaning if I could I'd rather have the smallest rim i can fit with the biggest tire I can fit only because that's what seems to look more appealing to my eye, however I will admit some setups do look pretty damn good but once again I can't pay for nice big and shiny rims for them to get dented and bent just by hitting a pothole at 25 MPH... and since Jersey cops absolutely love to give you $hit about wheels sticking out past the fenders, I'll still fight the power and have a decent amount of offset so it has a nice look but it too crazy so I become a target for it, and as far as tires go, only problem is I DO NOT want to have to use wheel spacers because I've had a bad experiences with them and they were not fun at all, I was originally going to get 17 Tahoe PPV rims but they just didn't look right to me because of the OEM offset they have... for the tires I'm gonna stick with either Falken or BF Goodrich just because I've always had good experience with them. Now with all of this being said the first thing to inspect is the wheel bearings, I've already replaced my driver side with a MOOG direct replacement but I've been looking into Kryptonite Products because of the lifetime warranty they have which isn't too bad!! I'll include pictures of what rims I'm gonna decide between below, let me know what you guys think, any websites I can look at that'll have a pretty good selection of wheels and any feedback, stick around for the next post which will definitely be a good one, we're gonna go over what I have in store for suspension upgrades!

1 - 20 of 352 Posts