Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
301 - 320 of 352 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 ·
Alright gents this is it! 300th post for the build, as of right now the truck is in good standing compared to what it was at the beginning, Motor portion of the build is set to be done I just need to dedicate a day or 2 to get into it, next step is to get the tuner which I'm planning on ordering in the next 2 weeks and have lew work his magic. Still searching for another place to buy a gear package, then once the gears and motor are handled I can move onto the bodywork!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 ·
What's up guys it's been a while!! Still making small progress, discovered that chirping noise I was talking about a while back and it's actually my midpipe that's loose, also discovered my driver side motor mount Is completely FUBAR so as I wait to get my headers from the shop while they're being coated I'm also trying to gather all the tools I need, I'm gonna get the MIKEY II promax Kit to clean up the threads and to get the broken bolts out since I'm pulling the heads anyway, I'm also gonna get the harmonic balancer puller and installer kits, I still need to get the fluids and stuff but other than that it's just a matter of when I get the headers back and once I get the motor mounts swapped!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 ·
I've been doing some looking around for motor mounts, I know I'm gonna tear them up constantly so I'm looking at the poly urethane mounts, kinda hard to find but atomic seems to have them and I'm willing to try them out, I don't mind a little vibration from the motor if it's gonna stay nice and firm in place... what do you guys think??

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Definitely go with the poly mounts from Atomic. I was going to recommend those until I saw you found them. I have heard the change in vibration is not so noticeable and they are much tougher than the stock design. Plus Richard is an A++ guy to work with and buy from. Highly recommend any of the products he sells.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Those look like some beefy mounts. Ready to see this builds engine work get started!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #306 ·
Junior62 said:
Definitely go with the poly mounts from Atomic. I was going to recommend those until I saw you found them. I have heard the change in vibration is not so noticeable and they are much tougher than the stock design. Plus Richard is an A++ guy to work with and buy from. Highly recommend any of the products he sells.
I'm not gonna lie I didn't even think about it until I was watching a video about the ongoing issue and after reading around in the comments I saw someone talk about so I started digging and it seems like it's the best option, I'm not opposed at all if it's gonna last much longer and possibly help with performance, totally worth it for $365

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 ·
Bradley21sanders said:
Those look like some beefy mounts. Ready to see this builds engine work get started!
I know they look pretty good, but very soon my brotha! the big stuff is here and ready to go, now it's just getting all the small tedious things in check and ready to go so it can be a nice smooth process

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #308 ·
Build Update: dropped off the headers at a local shop today, instead of ceracoat I'm gonna have them coated with high temp powder coat, 100 bucks cheaper too but that's underway at the moment so once I hear from him and they're ready the tear down is a go!! Ordered some handy dandy GM tools through my snapon rep, Valve Spring Compressor was $27, The ProMaxx Mikey II kit is gonna be 500 and if I don't use it I can always return it, it's really my back up invade I can't get the bolts out with a welder, and a harmonic balancer installer/remover is about 100. I'm gonna have some more free time to get the build moving again so stay tuned fellas!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #309 ·
Build Update:long tubes are coated and ready for install!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #311 ·
silentbravo said:
Nice. That's not going to contain any heat right, just looks nicer and should keep it's finish?
It'll contain ALOT of heat, high temp powder coat was a better option in my opinion because it won't get messed up during install, it'll handle upto 1200 and it's muuuuuuuch thicker and it'll last much longer. I can't wait to get them in!

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I think he may have meant it as in Will your EGTs be higher due to containing the heat in the pipe

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #313 ·
Bradley21sanders said:
I think he may have meant it as in Will your EGTs be higher due to containing the heat in the pipe
Ohhhh yea absolutely, that's why I'm glad I'm not running green cats because they're most likely gonna burn up a lot faster than usual

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 ·
What's up fellas, I apologize for the every once in a while posting, trying to make as much money as I can to keep the build moving.... quick update, The MIKEY II kit has arrived!! Last piece of the puzzle is just gonna be the GM exhaust manifold gaskets and the tear down can get started, the poly motor mounts are soon to follow, once I do that then I can get a move on the differentials and then finally get in touch with lew so I'm ready for him!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #316 ·
Another little update! Got the Headers back! Just waiting for the valve spring compressor to come in, on another note... my G80 is starting to grenade itself! Right turns are starting to make the rear end bang so this week I'll be looking for that ring and pinion kit/set, next up is the Atomic Poly Motor mounts!

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Have you decided what you'll replace the g80 with?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #318 ·
Oh yea, I'm not sure if you remember but a while back I ordered that Detroit TrueTrac, I just need the master kit and gears but couldn't find much for a while but it's time to start lookin again!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #319 ·
Progress!!! The Detroit Truetrac is in!! The drive is so much smoother, shifts are much nicer and the next step is getting that ring and pinion with master kit, I don't plan on waiting much longer to order everything but we're taking a step in the right direction, the verdict was the G80 spider gears were stripped away almost completely, after a very thorough cleaning and flush, all is well! Stay tuned!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #320 ·
Wow! Haven't been on here in years!!! :lol: :lol: My apologies for the long period of no posts! Lots of things have transpired in life, build is still here of course, she's not going anywhere don't worry lads. Here's a quick summary of the time I've been away, still at the new shop, which is going swimmingly. Truck is still here, with a newly found trans issue which is a burnt 3-4 clutch pack! But have no fear, the sonnax parts on the way once I figure out what to buy and who to buy it from! The motor hasn't not been touched yet, however, when the trans is pulled and rebuilt the motor is going to be done in the mean time, as I said before I wanna get sonnax internals I just need to find a proper list of parts but of course I'm always all ears for opinions, and I'm going to look for a different torque converter to go with my 212/218 cam! Not much has changed since I last posted which is good! I don't wanna leave you guys out of the mix if things!

301 - 320 of 352 Posts