Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
321 - 340 of 352 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #321 ·
Gentlemen! Holy hell has it been a while! My apologies for the delay, life's been busy! Lots of great news! New transmission is on its way for the Bulldogg, for a pretty penny of course, once the old one is out it'll be broke down and rebuilt by yours truly for something I recently picked up.... which happens to be a 85 c10! 350 small block with some pretty decent work put into it, but it's another white silverado! (Go figure)

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
No more progress?

start a thread on the '85 !!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #323 ·
Progress is still being made!! I do plan on starting a thread on the 85 there's not doubt about that ;) the whole idea was to get the 85 in good shape to use a daily for my 5 minute drive too and from work while the bulldogg gets its TLC, but the build is still going, once I get the trans out of the bulldogg I'll be doing the manifold and top end work since it'll be somewhat easier to do, considering meineke welded the flanges together so it's all one piece now....

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #324 ·
PROGRESS!! gentlemen, the time has come for real this time! No more delays or hiccups, gave Allan a call over at PerformaBuilt Transmission in PA, told him what I was looking for and I will be bringing my Stock 4L60e to him to be rebuilt/upgraded up to their Level 3 specifications since I'm over in dirty Jersey, with that being said the internals will be R&R'd with much better quality and heavier duty parts, mostly by Sonnax, also opted for the 5 piece rear planetary upgrade since it'll do me nothing but good. I also spoke with Lew and set things up with him for when the time comes to do the tuning after the transmission is done and the top end work is finished which will be done while the transmission is out so I can get my one piece exhaust system out.... will also be getting a set of Atomic poly motor mounts ;). Stay tuned gents! Also the 85 C10 build has been put on the back burner for the time being due to the TH350 taking a dump...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 ·
Gents I've let my thoughts get the best of me again…. Kinda in a pickle, I'm torn between getting the 4l60e rebuilt and doing the 4l80e swap with the intentions I have for this build…. Could really use some input and opinions if it means making the better choice and save $$$ in the long run of things….

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
If I had a vehicle with a 4l60 and it went out there is no chance in hell I would put a rebuilt or stage anything back in it. Straight to a 4l80 is what I would do.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #328 ·
silentbravo said:
Was forced induction on the list for the truck? If so, definitely 4l80e.
It was, but not for a little while…. Man I hate making decisions XD

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #329 ·
Bradley21sanders said:
If I had a vehicle with a 4l60 and it went out there is no chance in hell I would put a rebuilt or stage anything back in it. Straight to a 4l80 is what I would do.
I think what I may do is get the 60e rebuilt, and then the next time it goes out I'll do the 80e swap because hopefully by then I'll have the funds to do the supercharger, and won't have to worry about her being my daily anymore, I'll keep her on the side to play with

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
In my mind it just sucks knowing that I would have to pay for a trans again in the future vs just going ahead and doing the better swap. But I understand for sure, being that its a daily.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #331 ·
Bradley21sanders said:
In my mind it just sucks knowing that I would have to pay for a trans again in the future vs just going ahead and doing the better swap. But I understand for sure, being that its a daily.
That's exactly my dilemma, I mean realistically, if I can get a good couple years out of the built 60e then thatll buy me time to prepare for the swap, since I don't plan on boosting until it's not a daily anymore, don't get me wrong that would be frickin sweet but it's just not logical at this time for what I need vs what I want.

·
Registered
1999 Silverado ECSB 6.0
1,649 Posts
Just swap it anyways. Buy once cry once. If you plan on doing it eventually then do it now or not at all.

·
Registered
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB
2,569 Posts
Even if you swap in a used 4l80e or stock rebuild it should be pretty tough and especially cheaper than rebuilding a 4l60e, breaking that and then doing the swap anyway. You can always build up the 4l80e later as well.

What are the extras with the swap? Shortened drive shaft, retuned PCM, and maybe some transmission cooler lines?

·
Registered
1999 Silverado ECSB 6.0
1,649 Posts
Yes yes yes and also a new crossmember and wire harness changes

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #336 ·
So I reached out to Jakes Performance, 3250 with core plus shipping, 14 week turn around…. I don't think I'd be able to have the truck down for that long, and I've been surfing the webs trying to find one for sale near me and can't find a damn thing…

·
Registered
1999 Silverado ECSB 6.0
1,649 Posts
Look just buy a reman'd 4L80 and buy the parts later. You are wasting time and money doing the 4L60.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #340 ·
shakenfake said:
Look just buy a reman'd 4L80 and buy the parts later. You are wasting time and money doing the 4L60.
I've been looking for ones and haven't found much

321 - 340 of 352 Posts