Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far, I'm loving my Sierra. I've got an Airaid MIT, Airaid Synthamax drop-in, stainless steel dynomax UltraFlo SI/DO catback w/4" tips, and a Diablew tune. She pulls hard and sounds great. I'll be working in Florida for the winter (lucky me) and week soon be scheduling an appointment at lashway motorsports in Fort Lauderdale for the installation of a new cam, ls7 lifters, ls6 springs, hardened pushrods, oil pump, timing chain, DOD/VVT delete, stainless longtube headers and catted Y-pipe, 93 octane tune and before/after dyno pulls. I recently talked to the owner, and although I'll be keeping the stock converter, I'm going with a slightly larger cam than I had originally planned on. At first I didn't think I could go any bigger than a 212/218 without sacrificing some midrange torque. Now I'll going with a 228/228, .588 lift 114 lsa (I believe). He knows this is a daily driver, and with tuning he gets these cams to pull from 2500 on, gaining not just top end horsepower, but midrange torque as well! I know without a stall the low end may seem sluggish in comparison to higher rpm's, but with the addition of headers and proper tuning, my truck should launch a little better than she does now which would be fine with me. Needless to say, a few weeks down the road I will post feedback, dyno graphs and more. Lashway has a excellent reputation. I'm looking forward to that choppy idle and eating hemi's for breakfast!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Nice setup only thing I would do is keep the vvt and delete afm only because vvt is going to make peak all the way across the board.

Sent via my VZW Galaxy S3.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I asked about vvt, they recommend deleting vvt in these engines on any cam bigger than 220/220 or so iirc. VVT requires certain lifters that limit the redline. Im aiming for peak hp at 5800-5900 and shift point near 6300. The owner said that he's been doing cam swaps on these engines for 15 years and has customers in similar situations to mine all the time. With the proper tuning he's confident on gains from 2500 to the shift point, possibly 70-80 max hp and only slightly less than that in max torque gains (as well as large gains up top from the new powerband the cam will provide). I'm sure it'll be an entirely new animal regardless of what the numbers read.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Lashway is one of our dealers, good shop.

There are some good VVT cams out there, but doing the conversion is what we recommend also.

Your in good hands...tell them Tracy endorsed them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just spoke with lashway today, going with American Racing stainless longtubes and catted-Y pipe. Everything should take place around the 20th-26th of this month.

·
Registered
135 Posts
bet your having a hard time sleeping

·
Registered
413 Posts
Looks like you'll be buying rear tires often. Lol Looking forward to seeing the results.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TXCrew2013 said:
looking forward to some dyno numbers
Me too. I'm actually curious as to what I'm putting down currently (270hp would be nice). After the install I'm hoping for 330+ but we'll see. If I still have the itch afterwards I may get the heads ported (possibly milled some as well) and maybe add a bigger intake.

fishaun said:
bet your having a hard time sleeping
Haha not yet thankfully. I know one thing though, my co-workers are sick of hearing about this!

ZSilv71 said:
Looks like you'll be buying rear tires often. Lol Looking forward to seeing the results.
Yeah, I'll just keep rotating the good tires to the back haha!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Take lots of pics when they install!!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VInBjc54 ... InBjc54IbE
Hartski said:
Take lots of pics when they install!!
I won't be there, I'm going to drop it off. I'll see if the owner can throw in a few pics of the install in with the package he'll be giving me with dyno graphs and what not.

Here's a little vid of what I was working with, acceleration-wise, after the diablo tune. Not a great launch but it's the only vid I have from that tune. I'll try to do something like this with my current tune as well just to help illustrate the difference before and after the install.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
179 Posts
you might want to verify the springs, LS6's are only good for .570 lift.

cam, headers, and a tune do wonders for the ls platform. effortless power!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OutlawDrifter said:
you might want to verify the springs, LS6's are only good for .570 lift.

cam, headers, and a tune do wonders for the ls platform. effortless power!
they are either doubling them up or I got that wrong or something. I know they are using s dual spring setup. they said .600 liftshould be a breeze.

Scratched the ARH's.... going with kooks to save $100

Clip of my current exhaust....

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sooo... looks like I got a killer deal on some lightly used CNC-ported L92 ls3 heads. I'm going to get a bigger intake as well... really going to be cranking some horses out of this one!!!

More details later. time to invest in some unisom hahaha

I have cocky friends that own hemi's, raptors, ecoboosts, tundras...... too bad they'll tuck it n' run as soon as they hear that idle.... lol :twisted:

·
Registered
179 Posts
L92's won't work on a 5.3l's bore my friend. need 4.00"+ or you'll have valve shrouding problems.

not trying to be a killjoy here, but just don't want you dropping cash on stuff that doesn't work with what you are building.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The owner seems to think they will work just fine.....? He did refer to them as l92 heads initially, but in his last email he just called them ls3 heads. I'm not an expert on them but I know this guy knows his stuff..... definitely wouldn't steer me wrong....

·
Registered
179 Posts
L92's and LS3's are very similar. Difference is in the valves, LS3's have hollow stems, vs the L92's solid stems. Once again, just trying to help out.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.