Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has had a cam shaft installed in there 6.2. I had a guy tell me it would take about 20 hours labor time. I can't see paying 2000 bucks in labor to install a 500 dollar part that isn't going to make that big a difference.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no idea that was my next question. i have seen some guys with a comp 420 VVT i believe. I work on the road so i am at the mercy of a mechanic to do the work which sucks because its hard to drop that much money just for a cam.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just looking to HP. what really got me is there is a guy that works here and has a 6.2 in his car with a cam.. its sounds so good. its one of those things that i know they open the motor up some to add HP but i don't think 2500 bucks good. i was just hoping someone would say.. i have had it done in half the time.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Not a problem just remember to check in over here with the after cam swap results.

Sent via my VZW Galaxy S3.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If its going to cost that much i would prefer they pull the motor and do some more work to it. i think they said a motor swap was 14 hours but just to do the cam was 20. thats just crazy and i don't believe half of what those books say. it says 2 hours to change brake pads and i have done all 4 in a little over 30 mins.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
camming it will sure wake up a 6.2, but 20 hours is way overbooked, i would think.

·
Registered
231 Posts
It took me about 16 hours all by myself in my driveway. That included deleting the AFM and changing to a 3 bolt cam. If someone were to help with a magnet to raise the lifters as the cam is getting put in, you wouldn't have to take the heads of and that would save several hours.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I originally pulled the heads cuz I was deleting the AFM and had to change the lifter trays because I put LS7 lifters in.

·
Registered
231 Posts
to answer your question, it shouldn't take a shop 20 hours to do a cam job.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im new to this my first on anything like this was yesterday. i was trying to get some answers on the slip between 2nd to 3rd and posted about the Cam not knowing where i was posting it to.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
dlc1163,

I understand that you are seeking information to resolve your vehicle issue yourself and I may not be able to give any technical advice. However, if you find that you cannot resolve the issue yourself, I am more than happy to assist. Please private message me referencing this thread if I can be of any assistance.

Regards,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.