Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the dual zone push button climate control unit in my 2011 Sierra.

The fan Up and Down on the left side and also the power button have faded and peeled off.

I have found another climate control unit that has no damage on those 3 button for sale .....

Can I remove just those 3 buttons from this used one I found for sale ($30) and replace the faded 3 buttons on my current unit???

The one used has a little damage elsewhere so that's the reason I prefer to use my current unit over this used one .... but I would like to use the buttons if possible.

Can you take these buttons off somehow by taking the unit apart etc?

And if so can EACH button be replaced, or is say the left side 4-Button a full cluster (hot/cold/fan up/down) unit and not each button is separate? (if that's the case the case this would not work as I need the fan up/down and if its a full cluster this used one I can buy has the hot/cold buttons peeling).

I have looked at the stick on sticker fix but for the price it doesn't seem like the best option really.

Thanks so much for any info you can provide here on my questions. :D

-Chris :cool:

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
The only option is to carefully disassemble the unit and see how the buttons are mounted. May be an easy swap, may not be. Are you out of warranty?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya out of warranty

·
Registered
706 Posts
i had mine replaced under warranty.. they replaced the whole unit. Dont think swapping buttons is very easy. You could have a small stencil made and hit it with a touch of paint. I know thats what i would be doing

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya I opened that thread back up and have been asking question in there about those ... just seem to cheap (they are basically a sticker and thats it!!!) and I need the power button as well so to get the 3 stickers I would need to cover those buttons would cost me $65!

Just way to much IMHO .... was hoping that I could find a used unit and swap out the buttons somehow.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone else know if these buttons can be replaced? I had read in one guys auction on eBay that he did this somehow he said ... He had said something about 4 screws on the back that could be removed and the front plate of the climate control comes off and he changed his somehow ... He of course didn't go into much detail and I wasn't sure if he was right it not so I was hoping someone here would know for sure.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
For $30 I think I would buy one off fleabay and attempt to take it apart.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just and FYI .... YES ... all the buttons CAN be replaced.

I decided to take my current one apart and found you can remove the front black plate from the front of the unit, then remove four #10 Torx screws from the back of the unit and pop off the tabs the separate the entire unit down the middle.

Once this done the whole front plate (that holds all the buttons etc) comes away from the mechanical/electrical unit itself and each button can be taken out of that that main front plate and a new ones placed directly in.

After this the unit can be put back together with all new buttons from another unit you may have purchased and look good again!

I will make this a "HowTo" thread on the process of this when the used unit I just purchased on eBay comes in and I swap out the 3 buttons that are bad on mine with the better ones on this used unit (paid $40 for it).

So if you can find a used unit (hell it can be broke doesn't matter)out there that has good non faded or rubbed off buttons ... you can swap them out for your faded buttons VERY Easily (was shocked how easy it came apart and the buttons popped out (they have two little clip that hold the buttons in that have to be pulled away then the button just falls right out) and not have to go through the process of finding a working unit that looks at good and is compatible with your truck.

If you have any questions in the time being let me know but I will be sure to post pics on how all this looks when I fix mine.

Thanks for the help and feedback guys. :)

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Good deal!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ALL DONE !!!

So the used unit I bought came in from eBay purchase.

I took each apart and replaced the old the faded buttons with the the buttons from this purchased unit and it gave me a brand new looking unit but was still the same climate control so I didn't have to worry about finding a certain model to work correctly with my truck etc. etc. ... plus the unit I bought has some fading on other buttons but not the ones I needed so it worked for me.

I took the entire unit apart and took a few pics of a sorta step by step way of doing this.

Let me know if you have any questions about this if anyone decides to do this in the future for their faded buttons as well.

Hope this helps out a fellow SilveradoSierra brother at some point that has the same issue as I had.

The details for each pic are below the attachments ...................

Attachments

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More pics showing the button replacement process..............

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.