Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so my cluster is junk. Sent it in to BBA reman and they said the controller board is shot. So I bought one from LKQ and they sent me a standard 2500 cluster without the trans guage. I have a 2500HD with the M74 Allison transmission and it has the guage. Can I just put a stepper motor in the new cluster and transfrer over my overlay? Will it work of do I need to do something else??

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone know? They havent gotten back to me so I may be stuck with this $200 paperweight and if I cant add the tranny gauge, it is useless to me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LKQ has offered a $100 discount, so I am keeping this cluster. The mileage was within 100 of mine, so that was a huge bonus. Now if someone could tell me how to get the trans temp gauge to work that would be great.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I would think you would have to add a completely separate gauge, the cost and time of doing so may outweigh the $100 credit, but I'm not sure. If it were me I would prefer to have the correct dash with the built-in temp gauge, but I guess that will be your call. Wish I could help more, but I have never added a separate gauge for trans temp. Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From searching on here, and googling it, I have found that it can be done, but everyone thinks it has to be programmed with a TECH II. The good news is I have a buddy with a TECH II, but his expertise is SAAB, so I have to find instructions on how to do it, and make sure that it can be done.

Honestly, I only tow 5500lbs with it, and my Trailblazer with the 5.3 and 4l60 towed it fine, without overheating the transmission, so I probably dont need the gauge, but if I can throw in a stepper motor, that I have a dozen of on the bench, and pay someone $100 to program it, I would love to do that. Plus I can get the mileage set properly, so I can still have original mileage. Its an 03 with super low mileage, so that is a huge plus.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK the answer is YES. I soldered a stepper motor in there and just took it for a ride and it works flawlessly. It just doesnt light up. LOL..... I forgot to put a light bulb in there. So I am going to pull it back apart and put that in there now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.