Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 2012 Sierra 2500HD.. I noticed while deer hunting that I CANNOT turn off my headlights while driving at night.. if I'm in park I can though.. I turn the only to the left, and it springs back to auto but will not disable the headlights at all! Truck came from Canada.. what do I need to do to fix this?

· Registered
516 Posts
IF its from Canada i doubt your going to be able to shut them off..

The automatic lamp control (ALC) system and the DRL feature can be temporarily disabled by performing the following procedure:

Note: The ALC and DRL cannot be turned off on the Canadian vehicles.

1. Turn the ignition to RUN
2. Press the DOME OVERRIDE button four times within six seconds.
A chime will sound informing you that the system is off. The system will remain disabled until the ignition is cycled off and then on or by pressing the DOME OVERRIDE button four more times within six seconds. The chime will sound again signaling that the system has been reactivated.

· Servicemen
180 Posts
He's right -- our Canadian models are set so you CANNOT turn off the headlights at all -- UNLESS the vehicle is in Park.
All other times it's either the DRL's in the day, or the automatic lights at night.

You can rig a resistor in the photo sensor circuit to make it think it's always daytime, but you'll still get the DRL's.

The only option is to a shunting relay to the back of each headlight that can be switched manually. You'll get warnings, but it'll disable the headlights totally.

· Registered
1,775 Posts
My old 2000 Silverado was a Canadian truck and sneaking into the woods near my hunting spots while spring gobbler hunting it drove me nuts that I could turn the headlights off. I wound up taking a lil cardboard box, lining it with aluminum foil, then inserting a small LED flashlight in it. I'd sit the box over the sensor on the dashboard, turn on the flashlight and then it would fool the sensor into thing it was daylight and my headlights would turn off. I still have that lil box shoved in the back of my gun safe. I can take a pic of it if you want to see it? It worked like a charm...

Same time I owned the 2000 Silverado, we also had a 2001 Suburban. On the Burb the lil dome over ride trick to reprogram it would work, but on the truck it wouldn't. Thus due to Canadian vs. U.S. built vehicles...

· Registered
96 Posts
Or you could just unplug the bulbs...

Only way that little box will do anything is if you're going to remove the DRL fuse, on a Canadian truck...

Don't you know, hunting at night is a bad idea :lol:

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Could someone run my vin and see if it's a Canadian truck? 1GT220CG3BZ359384

I called the dealer and they said I could reprogram the BCM and that it might work and might not depending on the vin

· Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
5,360 Posts
That would make it a canadian truck. They can swap the BCM for a US one but that going to cost you some dollars

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just talked with my local dealer... I can get a brand new US spec "BCM" and plug it in and get it reflashed and I'll have full control of my lights!! Total cost of about $250

· Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
5,360 Posts
SledNeck said:
Idc I'll pay it!! Lol. So is there any other differences AT ALL between the us and Canadian trucks?
One runs on maple syrup and the other on Gasoline
and the speedo obviously

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
17,133 Posts
$250 for a new BCM is a good price. How much to flash it?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.