Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'15 Silverado LTZ Custom Sport Plus
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just learned about this and I don't see it anywhere on the forums, maybe it'll help some of you as well.

CARFAX has a "Car Care" program/app that lets you see the CARFAX reports for your vehicles for free. It also gives upcoming service reminders, any open recalls, when your registration is expiring, trade-in value, etc. Simply plug in your VIN.

Reactions: Smitty27

·
Registered
2009, 2500HD, 6.0 L, 4x4, Ext Cab, Alumn FlatBed
468 Posts
CARFAX has a "Car Care" program/app that lets you see the CARFAX reports for your vehicles for free.
I would like to have the Carfax on my truck that I got two years ago. From what I read it sounds like it keeps the history that you put in, not the history before you bought it.

Has anyone tried this?

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Pulled a car fax on my current truck and since it's been in the family since new '07 and had never sold, I had to update the records on it. None of the recall work that had been done over the years was showing up - the washer heater removal, the AFM valve cover, etc. No big deal was just surprised because I assumed those guys had the algorithms that caught everything on a car/truck.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would like to have the Carfax on my truck that I got two years ago. From what I read it sounds like it keeps the history that you put in, not the history before you bought it.

Has anyone tried this?
My truck popped up with all the previous work history before I bought it. That’s mostly why I signed up for it, I was curious on any prior service and if the transmission fluid had been changed since that is coming due for me soon. I think the only way it wouldn’t show would be if the previous owner did their own work on the vehicle rather than a dealership or shop.

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
5,082 Posts
That thing is a pain in the ass. I opted out right after I opted in. Don't need it, don't want it..
It will show past history if the work was done and uploaded by a participating dealer or repair shop, but after that, why do you need it? I don't need to be reminded of stuff I need to do to anything I own. I can keep track the way I always have for everything I own that requires history and tracking and service intervals, just like I always have with loose leaf binders and manual entries. "Roo's books of knowledge!" I can see when my registration is up every time I get in the truck; it's December. The TA is December. The Rammy Van is April. The Element is August. The boat is May 23. The Sea Doo is October 23. Shall I list the trailers too?
This is why I rarely give out my email address. I don't want every place I buy something asking "how was your experience?"
The last good experience was with Jimi Hendrix in the 70s.
Just because the technology exists doesn't mean it's useful or adds value.

Rant over.

·
Registered
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
6,468 Posts
That looks like Carfax tricking people into entering maintenance/accident records into their system so they can sell the info to the next person who wants to buy your vehicle...
Bingo. You fill out more info and CarFax becomes more valuable to people looking to buy a vehicle, leading to CarFax making more money. Get to work fools, CarFax needs a new pair of shoes.

Reactions: roorancher

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope you guys don’t have any clothing with logos on it, they’re just using you for the free advertising. And the audacity of a company to provide a good or service and plan to get some sort of residual (and probably marginal) gain in the long term. I too believe that all companies should not act in their own interests.

·
Registered
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
6,468 Posts
I wouldn't say marginal gain, it is the basis of their business to supply this info to car shoppers. I have logos on clothing of course, hard to find any clothing without logos, but I am not willingly inputting info into their database for their business.
It wouldn't be so bad if it was actually useful but like that old roo guy said, you can already do most of the stuff for free yourself. Just look at your tags for expiration date or set up a reminder yourself. I enter all my maintenance and other info into Excel. I can look up trade in value on KBB or NADA which is what most everyone uses anyways. I can look up recalls online too.
GM already has something like that CarFax set up and has for a long time Owners | Chevrolet or My GMC Account: Sign in | GMC
If you like this thing from CarFax use it but I have no need for it myself.

Reactions: roorancher
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.