Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where I live i do not have emissions. But the catalytic converter has to be there. Sooo, I can remove it and hollow it out and weld it back in place. Was wondering if there is any benefit to hollowing it out such as better HP, better mileage, or anything. Or is it gonna throw all kinds of codes and just waste my time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The title is a little misleading with "converter" (singular) as in just one. If you have the CAFE 3rd CAT like some (including) mine then it will NOT throw any codes and only be slightly louder and typical seat of your pants feel of rwhp gain (one's imagination).

On the other hand if you meant "converters" (plural) and THE two CATS with pre-02s which run the PCM @nominal temp with post-CAT 02s which monitor the CATs health, then YES you will likely get codes thrown.

As for benefits outweighing the headache of inspection, etc, just depends on where you're located. RWHP gains are only slightly improved with a vehicle that's been tuned honestly and the outright removal at best isn't worth the slight gain. I've removed them from a former street/track car, but the 02s stilld ran the tuned PCM (just no CATs). Can't say what some do on these trucks and what their true results were. Considering coring my third CAFE CAT and know it won't throw codes, etc (NON-02 Sensor Monitored CAT), this means visually it appears there albeit cloaked with no-guts :mrgreen: . I'll report back any anomalies like thrown-codes, if it does throw a code in mine, well it's going to be my butt because my wife has learned my tricky mechanical race ways after nearly 6 yrs of marriage, haha! :cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts