Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple questions, please. Got a '10 Sierra, 5.3L. Been getting an intermittent CEL. And when I say intermittent, it's really about 10-12 months apart, happened twice. Local Chevy dealer service tech reset CEL light, both times. Right bank, rear O2 sensor, both times. Last instance, 2 weeks ago, reset and hasn't come back on. I had scheduled a visit for today to get the sensor replaced, they talked me into just leaving it alone since the CEL was still off. When they reset the CEL last I asked if the sensor was still showing as failed, they said yes. Which leads to Q1. If the sensor was hard failed would they have been able to reset the CEL light. My limited understanding of this computer crap says, no. So what is it yes/no? Q2. Id like to buy a code reader. From my sparse research it appears that it takes a multi function reader to access all the vehicle components, ABS, Airbags, 4WD, engine codes, etc. I'm looking in the $75-$100 for a reader. What is a good unit in that range? I just assume that isn't going to access all the aforementioned systems, only engine codes, right?

· Registered
1,852 Posts
Before Anyone can give you a direction you need to have the code number that was set, not just a general description.

Get a cheap ELM327 bluetooth and use your smart phone. They work well for engines only.

Not going to find a scanner capable of all you mentioned for anywhere near $100.00. Some aftermarkets will do ABS and Airbag for around $200.00.

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
16,428 Posts
You would be surprised at how much the OBD2 Bluetooth dongle and Torque will give you access to. I would spend the $15 on the dongle, download the free android torque app and give it a try. It will likely give you far more information than you thought existed on a truck. If that doesn't fill your needs, then you are not out much.

· Registered
1,075 Posts
esox07 said:
You would be surprised at how much the OBD2 Bluetooth dongle and Torque will give you access to. I would spend the $15 on the dongle, download the free android torque app and give it a try. It will likely give you far more information than you thought existed on a truck. If that doesn't fill your needs, then you are not out much.
Been using this set up for years, it's seriously awesome and has come in extremely handy for dirt cheap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.