Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Ceramic coating

6K views 45 replies 11 participants last post by  Leveled17yeti 
#1 ·
If I do ceramic coating, will that help prevent the sun beating down making my paint start to fade/peel, and also help with light scratches from the mud or etc?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

#2 ·
If you have scratches, etc., you'll need to do a full paint correction first (clay bar, cutting [and maybe wet sanding], polishing, waxing). Ceramic will help protect the paint but it won't fix or hide imperfections. If your paint is starting to fade/peel, you'll need a repaint.

#3 ·
There are many out there for a Diy cquartz is the way to go, it claims to harden your paint and help prevent minor scratches. Take that for what it’s worth I would say at best very very light protection and anything diy won’t be the same as a true pro dealer can get. As the post said above you need to do a full prep work. They make a speical soap to use when washing clay, polish etc. anything not corrected or left pre coat will not only still be there but will be “covered” also not sure your area most coats don’t flash to well in the cold. I was going to do one myslef just going to wait till spring. For now I’ll use a sealant and wax and let it Rock for now

#5 ·
There are many out there for a Diy cquartz is the way to go, it claims to harden your paint and help prevent minor scratches. Take that for what it’s worth I would say at best very very light protection and anything diy won’t be the same as a true pro dealer can get. As the post said above you need to do a full prep work. They make a speical soap to use when washing clay, polish etc. anything not corrected or left pre coat will not only still be there but will be “covered” also not sure your area most coats don’t flash to well in the cold. I was going to do one myslef just going to wait till spring. For now I’ll use a sealant and wax and let it Rock for now
I didn't know about the cold weather situation. What wax do you use? I've never had a nice vehicle

#7 ·
Yup I just picked up a new 23, I was going to put a ceramic coat on myself, but it is cold here prob won't get much higher than 32 rest of the year, my game plan now is going to wash, clay, light polish or a finish polish/ sealant and a type of wax over top. The new rave of products are "Si02" which is a form of ceramic coating. Just be mindful that most of these Si02 I won't say there are full gimmicks but they will not last as long as a true coat or a prof coat. There are very few out there but I have a si02 past wax from I believe Mckees, and I think another company just came out with one as well could be adams or another brand. The real trick part that should be left up to the pros is the paint correction, I have a hand polisher that won't do any harm I played it safe, but if you get one that can truly "cut" you need to be very careful as you could burn through the clear coat.

#11 ·
Yup I just picked up a new 23, I was going to put a ceramic coat on myself, but it is cold here prob won't get much higher than 32 rest of the year, my game plan now is going to wash, clay, light polish or a finish polish/ sealant and a type of wax over top. The new rave of products are "Si02" which is a form of ceramic coating. Just be mindful that most of these Si02 I won't say there are full gimmicks but they will not last as long as a true coat or a prof coat. There are very few out there but I have a si02 past wax from I believe Mckees, and I think another company just came out with one as well could be adams or another brand. The real trick part that should be left up to the pros is the paint correction, I have a hand polisher that won't do any harm I played it safe, but if you get one that can truly "cut" you need to be very careful as you could burn through the clear coat.
Yeah, like these products? That's what you're talking about?

#8 ·
As red sled said if your paint is already fading or peeling it’s too late . Ceramic is great especially if you do it befor paint accumulates scratches and such .a lot of prep work plus you have to use the right kind c quartz is trusted there are others . There is also graphine coatings now that are really competitive . Two things I recently did mine took 5 hours of light prep work since paint was in great condition you have to remove all prior waxes sealants such than no imperfections or it will look like 💩 second it will have to sit and not get wet for at least 24 I waited 48 hours for the coating to cure one last thing the towels and applicator you used will have to be thrown away since when coating cures it leaves behind shards of glass in them but sealants waxes are good plus chemical guys makes hyrdrocharge which is right on par

#9 ·
As red sled said if your paint is already fading or peeling it’s too late . Ceramic is great especially if you do it befor paint accumulates scratches and such .a lot of prep work plus you have to use the right kind c quartz is trusted there are others . There is also graphine coatings now that are really competitive . Two things I recently did mine took 5 hours of light prep work since paint was in great condition you have to remove all prior waxes sealants such than no imperfections or it will look like [emoji90] second it will have to sit and not get wet for at least 24 I waited 48 hours for the coating to cure one last thing the towels and applicator you used will have to be thrown away since when coating cures it leaves behind shards of glass in them but sealants waxes are good plus chemical guys makes hyrdrocharge which is right on par
Damn I didn't know that. Understood

#17 ·
Yes it will enhance the color. Blacks look blacker, reds more red, etc. It’s liquid quartz which reflects light.

It’ll still get scratched and mud will still stick. But the work needed to clean and correct that is no where near than before.

Apex Detail on YT has demonstrated all of this many times

#23 ·
This house was built in the 60s so grandma grocery getter the yarus is an 07 and gets good mileage but even the wife calls it the pregnant roller skate [emoji23] I don’t do pronouns if you really want to see my kind of garage go to obsessed garage on YouTube [emoji3]
Lol the pregnant roller skate! I like that. I bet y'all were glad when our fearless leader big Daddy joe Biden jacked up gas prices lol.

#24 ·
When I bought my truck I had it ceramic coated by the dealer. They use Metrotech at their detail shop. As soon as I got it home I applied a second layer of Armor Shield. This truck..everything is black! My brother had given me an Armor Shield IX kit. One note..make sure you have good water or get a filter. Because you can cause water spots.

Wanted that extra protection because my truck lived outside. Garage is stuffed with my classic trucks.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

#26 ·
I have been having my vehicles ceramic coated for years. There are a number of great products with varying degrees of hardness and shines. Like others have said, have it professionally done. Second, regardless of the guarantee that it will last xxx years is BS. My corvette sits in the garage under a cover and is refreshed every 24-30 months. My High Country sits outside, and it has been one year since the ceramic coating, and it is scheduled to be refreshed in early January. In the end, especially if you wash your own vehicles, ceramic coating is the way to go.

#28 ·
My High Country sits outside, and it has been one year since the ceramic coating, and it is scheduled to be refreshed in early January.
What does refreshed mean? If it's damaged or bused down, it has to be removed and reapplied...typically wet sanded.

You could polish coated paint, but that shouldn't be able to remove it. And if you're polishing it, then what's the point of the coating in the first place? That will typically make it look worse. Just use a sealant every 6 months or the beginning and end of the season.

#27 ·
Just to be clear, applying the actual coating doesn't take any sort of skill. Any coating worth applying will flash and need to be wiped off in maybe 30 seconds depending on the temp and humidity.

I wouldn't take it to a pro until I walked around the entire truck in the dark with a flashlight and took notes as to what kind of condition the paint was in before. Or have them do that when you take it in. If they make the case for wet sanding, you're probably in the right place.

#32 · (Edited)
I bought a new 2023 and did full paint correction and 5-year gtechniq ceramic coating. There is nothing better than a high quality ceramic coat. If anyone tells you different, they don't fully understand ceramics. I've been doing this for many years and no wax or spray on Si02 coating can even come close.

#33 ·

My iridium paint on my 2014 obviously doesn't look brand new and doesn't have that "pop". Would y'all get this product or a different one, or even a polish instead to make my iridium pop more? It's a beautiful color especially with the red metallic. And if ceramic is the main product you want, do y'all know which brand usually has the most ceramic?

#34 ·
If you want it to pop, and start from "zero," so to speak, go get a paint correction with ceramic coating, and they'll tell you how to maintain it from there.

I really like the marketing, BTW: "NASA Infused Technology."

#38 ·
If you're putting wax or ceramic on top of flawed paint, it will only makes those flaws stand-out more.

Reactions: roorancher
#41 ·
You had two threads on the same topic. The threads were merged. You were sent a message.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.