Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on my way to drop off my 4 wheeler Saturday & my CEL came on .
Left the house @ 6:30 AM all was well .
Stopped for a coffee about 30 miles into it shut truck off .
Started truck (all good ) and while waiting at a light to turn , felt truck shake a little ( still no light )
Got onto the highway and check engine lamp came on steady .
Got to the shop , turned to back trailer in & "service traction controll " scrolled on dash & CEL blinked .
After I was backed in light went solid again .
Lamp is still on .
Seems down on power now & idles steady .

I had the codes pulled & they're :

P0131
P0171
P0300

I have all the descriptions / specifics of the above codes but I was wondering if there were any of you who could narrow them down .

I have an appt at the dealer Wednesday but wonder if any of you could give me some Idea of what I'm looking at ?
The rig has only 38,000 miles on the clock
Thank you in advance
Gene

· Registered
2,304 Posts
Po131 O2 sensor
PO171 Bank 1 lean
PO300 Random Misfires
Guessing o2 sensor will fix your problem. Let the dealer do his thing if you have a warranty.

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
17,133 Posts
Likely no warranty on a 2011. But a new O2 sensor might be the solution, otherwise, make sure you have no vacuum leaks.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies fellas ( for the record , it's a 2010 )

I've been reading the horror stories about intake manifold gaskets leaking & oil fouled plugs so the 02 sensor is a bit of a comfort .
She's not under warranty , but heading to the dealer anyway .
All the reading I've been doing on O2 sensors says failure at less than 60 clicks is pretty unlikely .
Can anyone add anything to that ?

17,133 Posts
I have 60 on mine with no problems. I have not noticed any trend such as that on this forum either.
A lot of times the O2 sensors get blames as being the cause of a problem, when they are more typically just reporting a problem caused elsewhere..

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
esox07 said:
I have 60 on mine with no problems. I have not noticed any trend such as that on this forum either.
A lot of times the O2 sensors get blames as being the cause of a problem, when they are more typically just reporting a problem caused elsewhere..
So , you're saying they're probably going to instal a new 02 sensor & send me down the road only to have it fail again ??

17,133 Posts
What I am saying is two things. First, there is a fair chance that the problem is not with the O2 sensor. It is mearly doing it's job and sensing a problem and reporting it. I think O2 sensors get blamed for that same reason. They are just the messenger in a lot of cases and not the cause.
Second: I think an O2 sensor can be expected to last much longer than 60,000 miles on average. Certainly, any part can fail prematurely, but I expect the vast majority of people get well over 100,000 on their O2 sensors and way beyond. I am sure you will find a lot of list members with 200,000 and more on their truck with the factory O2 sensors still functioning normally.

If the shop replaces the O2 sensor and it doesn't solve the problem, I would not be surprised. In fact, if I were you, I would do it myself. They are easier to replace than a spark plug and it would save you a big chunk of change. A shop will overcharge you for the sensor and then they will probably charge you for an hour of labor. An O2 sensor should cost you about $50.

17,133 Posts
OK, yah, hopefully they can isolate the problem without throwing parts at it. I thought you were just taking it in to have the O2 sensor replaced. If that is all it is, then that would be a good thing, I guess.
Good luck and keep us posted.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.