Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Silverado
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having an issue with a chemical smell inside my truck for about a month now. Makes nose burn, an eyes burn and water.
It usually happens after sitting in the heat. It goes away after you let it air out but comes back when you come to a stop with the a/c on. A/c still blows cold so I do suspect any leaks. I’ve replaced the cabin air filter. I’ve read in other forums where it could be a leaking heater core and then vaporizing inside cab, pressure tested cooling system and no leaks were found. I’ve aired out the truck when it’s parked, it helps but not a permanent solution. Placed baking soda inside cab to try and absorb some of it for a couple weeks, didn’t work.
I’ve read a couple other forum post from awhile back but no solutions were posted. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Have you replaced the cabin air filter? It's behind the glove box. Put a piece of heavy paper under it before you yank it out to keep the fan below it from eating leaves, etc.
It's a good place to start...

·
Registered
77 Posts
A small leak from the evaporator or other area in the AC system can cause the smell, even though it's still blowing cold. The chemicals in the new refrigerant are strong and pretty toxic, I'd ask the dealer to check it out for a diagnosis. These trucks are known to have poorly designed AC components, I just had to pay $1,084.00 to replace the condensor on my 17 silverado.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts